Chapter 41: 129 Days Before

It took only two days for Molly Weasley to approach Addie. She did so quietly, almost casually, so that Addie wasn't quite aware of what she was getting into until it was too late.

It was early morning, and Addie, still sleep deprived, was walking by the kitchen when Molly called out. "Addie? Is that you?"

"Yes," Addie said, yawning. "It's me."

"Everyone else is still asleep?" Molly asked. Addie should have heard the tone in her voice and run the other way. But she was tired, and the last thing she was thinking of was Molly Weasley's motives.

"Yeah, I'm the only one up."

"Could you come help me for a minute?"

"Of course," Addie said, stepping in to the kitchen, where Molly had her usual kitchen chaos in full effect. Pots and pans floated through the air, some being stirred, others landing on the burning stove. Even more measured out ingredients, pouring their contents into various other bowls before floating themselves to the sink. Molly Weasley stood amidst the flying objects, her wand in the air, directing the chaos with an expertise that had Addie in awe.

At Addie's approach, Mrs. Weasley lowered her wand, and the pots and pans fell back to the counter at once. "Do you mind stirring that for me?" Molly asked, gesturing to a pot that had been stirring itself seconds before.

That was when Addie knew. Molly didn't want help. She wanted to talk, and she wanted Addie busy enough that she had no choice but to listen.

Addie had no choice but to comply, and began stirring the pot and watching as Molly started up the rest of the kitchen with a wave of her wand. "So, I've been thinking," Molly started, directing another pot to the stove. Addie braced herself. "It really doesn't make much sense for you four to be hiding out here, so far from home."

Addie hesitated before answering. "Its safer out here, so far from the Death Eaters and the Aurors."

"That doesn't mean you're untouchable," Molly said. "If they discover you're here, they'll be at your doorstep before you can even think to hide."

"But it's the same at home," Addie said. "Once they find out where we are, we're dead."

"That's not true," Molly said, directing a measuring cup through the air a little too hard. It missed its target and crashed against the wall, the glass shattering to pieces. Molly didn't even notice. "The Order can protect you. We can set up the best of protections. You'll be perfectly safe."

Addie didn't know what to say. She didn't have an argument, and she didn't know if she should argue. For all she knew, they would end up going home with Molly and Arthur after Christmas. But she didn't want to raise Molly's hopes or dash them. "I'll talk to the others," Addie said, deciding that was safe to say. "I'll see what they have to say about this all."

Molly gave her a grateful smile. "That's all I'm asking for. Thank you, Addie."

*****

"I'm giving you all your Christmas presents a day early," Charlie announced between bites of pancake at breakfast. "I wanted to do it tomorrow, but I guess they're closing up tomorrow for Christmas. Everyone wanted to get a day off work for the holidays, to see their family." He said this in a tone of bewilderment, as if the thought of wanting Christmas off work was unimaginable.

"People wanting Christmas off? Imagine that," George said under his breath, and the table burst into laughter. Charlie looked around at their laughing faces, confused.

"Oh, Charlie," Mrs. Weasley said sympathetically, still chuckling. "One day you'll meet a girl, and you'll understand."

Charlie rolled his eyes at this ridiculous notion. "Mum, please. I don't have time for a girlfriend."