Chapter 18: 274 Days Before

It was a beautiful day for a wedding. The sky was the bluest of blues, the sun out in full force, and the valleys surrounding the Burrow were the perfect backdrop. A large billowing tent had been set up on the lawn, the bright white fabric seeming to glow in the sun. Guests milled on the lawn, chatting with family and friends, slowly making their way to the front of tent. Addie weaved her way through guests towards the entrance to the entrance, where Fred, George, and Ron stood in sleek dress robes, ushering guests to their seats.

As she got closer she was able to peek into the tent, and her senses were assaulted at the large display of white and gold decorations. Delicate golden chairs had been arranged in nice rows, and the white pillars holding up the tent had been entwined in gold as well. At the front, a large display of gold balloons sat just behind where Bill and Fleur would say their vows.

She reached the entrance, but all three ushers were in the process of leading guests to the appropriate seating. George arrived back before Fred, offering his arm to Addie. Addie accepted it, although her eyes stayed on Fred across the room. "You look nice," George commented. Addie thanked him, looking down at herself. She had managed to find a blue dress in her closet of jeans, t-shirts, and wizards robes, but she felt extremely uncomfortable in it. She was not made for dresses and was all too conscious of how high the hem rose up her thighs as she walked.

Addie took note of the direction he was leading her: towards the front, where a blonde haired girl looking equally uncomfortable was sitting. "You brought Charlotte?" Addie asked.

"I took your advice and asked her out again. It turns out this was the closest social event for us to attend."

"How'd you explain the ear?"

"I haven't yet. I've been trying to keep her on my right side. I think she knows something is up, but she's too afraid to ask."

"How are you going to explain it when she does ask?"

"I haven't quite figured that part out yet. If you think of a good excuse that doesn't involve me fighting Voldemort, please let me know."

They reached the row Charlotte was in, and George quickly introduced them to each other before hurrying away so he could escort another guest to their seat. Charlotte offered Addie a small smile, leaning in close so she could whisper, "What happened to George's ear?"

Addie stifled a laugh. "You noticed, huh?"

"How could I not? I swear both ears were present when we went out the first time. How do you lose an ear, of all things?"

Addie couldn't contain her laugh any longer, and Charlotte looked quite confused as to why Addie was laughing. "I'm sorry, it's not funny. Its just that he's been trying so hard to keep you from noticing. But I'm afraid I'm not the person to explain that to you. You're going to have to ask him."

Charlotte let out a huff. "Why do I always have to end up with the crazy ones? I mean, I promised myself after my last boyfriend grew gills that I'd find myself a nice, normal boy. And now this one loses an ear overnight."

Addie shook her head. "I don't think I want to hear the story behind your gill-growing ex-boyfriend."

"I can promise you that you really don't want to. Although I hear he's quite happy now. He's got himself a mermaid in the Atlantic, they're expecting a baby. Or would you call it a guppy? The whole thing is so confusing."

Addie wasn't quite sure if Charlotte was joking, but somehow she didn't think so. "As odd as George is, I can promise you that he's not the type to grow gills."