Chapter Nine: In we go...

Start from the beginning

"Huh?" Wink blinked it's void filled (oxymoron.) eyes.

"Well...you better come outside."

~*~*~*~*~

Wink breathed out slowly. "Did not expect.."

"Yep. Neither did we, when we came back we almost dropped you." Skylar said.

Awed silence.

"How many floors?" Wink queried.

"Six, by the looks of it."

More silence.

"How did Blaize Black manage to build an entire haunted castle on top of my warehouse!!?"

~*~*~*~*~

"So, glad you came here instead of infiltrating Haunted Manor or whatever it's called?" Christina giggled as the four heroes stood outside Wink and Wolfie's old primary school. It was a warmer night than last but the girls had to wait a long time unit the night as the primary school was near a main road.

"Yes, actually. This place holds a lot of memories." Wink said dreamily as it rummaged through undergrowth, trying to find a way in. Finally, Wink cleared enough tendrils and came upon an opening where the iron bars had been bent back.

"In we go." Wink said cheerily and stepped through it without stooping. Skylar and Christina struggled through and Wolfie decided she would rather jump over the fence then try and wriggle through a whole meant for a seven year old human.

~*~*~

Once all inside, Wolfie and Wink led the gang over to a sandstone coloured wall next to a small amphitheatre of seats, also made of sandstone. Wink placed it's hands on to exact places on the wall then tapped an invisible code in and said; "Open, please." and that is what the door did.

~*~

"Oooooh." Skylar and Christina echoed when the lights of the lab were flicked on. White and silver Chrome layered the lab on the floor and walls. Complicated looking metal devices lay scattered around on steel tables and workshops and colourful liquids stood in a row like brightly coloured soldiers. The lights them selves were extremely bright neon tubes in various shades of white and blue bathing the lab in a cool light. A corner of the room was occupied by a desk, an easel with complicated looking drawings supported upon it and numerous, plump looking cushions strewn about the floor.

"Ah, memories" Wolfie mused. "Hey! You remember when we made that robot version of-"

"Chloe, yes, that was why I made this in the first place." Wink grunted whilst dragging a heavy box of brass things out from a cupboard.

"So, you made all this? That's pretty impressive for an eleven year old." Skylar cooed.

"Well, I was about seven, eight at the time, but I got a lot of help." Wink mumbled.

Skylar coughed.

"You never know you might actually be cleverer than me.." Wink said grinning, then turned to dissembling a machine made of ninety percent cogs. "You just haven't discovered it yet."

"Wink!" Wolfie said from across the room. Wink turned to see Christina with a black blob stuck to her arm.

"One minute." Wink said then raced over to free Christina from the SlimeLeech.

Left alone, Skylar turned her attention to the cogs and brass littering the chrome desk. Maybe Skylar could do this sort of stuff. It wasn't like she had ever tried to do it, she hadn't had the oppertunerty. Cool brass found its way into Skylar's palm, and she turned it over slowly. Maybe, if she attached this to a- "Wait, Chloe's a robot?!"

"Oh, yeah, I made her in..." Wink looked up to a distant right-hand corner "Year Four? She went a bit wrong after she walked into a lamppost on a residential, as you can probably tell." Wink said then let out a cry of success as the SlimeLeech was wrenched from Christina's arm with a sticky "Wuap".

~*~

The gang (I Hate calling us that, but I cant say 'The two girls, werewolf and weird, pale thing' very slickly) stayed there a long time, Wink, with some goggles strapped around it's face and a weld-y thing in hand, and the rest lounging around in the cushion-corner, chatting and getting to know each other more than they did already. Working in almost silence, Wink was isolated by its own oasis of peace and concentration, interrupted only be Skylar pointing out the answers to an equation Wink couldn't manage. It neared the end of the night before they realised the end of the night was nearing. Wolfie almost cursed as she noticed the small chink of light shining through the peek hole in the wall.

"We're not planning to stay the night here are we?!" Wolfie said urgently. "Because if we don't leave now we're gonna have to."

"Oops." Wink said in a soft voice.

"Oh yeah, cos people will see you in daylight." Christina said.

"Mm" Wolfie said. " We better go. Come on Wink, you can finish the arm another day."

Wink scowled like a small child being told to stop playing with their toys, then hung its goggles on a hook and opened the door. Eyes wincing slightly against the thin morning light, it beckoned the others to the door way.

"No one will  be out now, but they will be soon." It drilled. "Thankfully, its quiet on the way to the warehouse, but it wont be deserted. If you see anyone, Chrissie and Skylar can continue walking, hopefully no one will question you. Me and Wolfie can jump behind the nearest fence. As long as people don't see us for more than a few seconds we'll be fine. No one will believe them if they say they saw monsters."

"But Wink.." Wolfie said, cocking an ear. "What about your-"

"We'll worry about that later. Now lets go."

~*~

The four crept along, hugging the bushes in their insecurity and fear of being seen, in their sunlit journey to the warehouse. It was going well, considering the increasingly late hours of the morning, however, someone was having more difficulties with the sunlight than others.

"OK.. Wolfie.. now might be a goo' time to start worrying 'bout myeyes." Wink slurred, it sounded sleepy, but strained.

"What's wrong with her eyes?" Christina asked.

"You've seen the size of them, and most of it's pupil. Its like having your pupils dilated to three times the size of the normal size. They let in a hell of a lot of light, and Wink left its sunglasses behind." Wolfie explained then turned to Wink.

"How do you feel?"

"Urhhh," Wink said. "Like the physical form of a light bulb."

"OK, that made no sense but I'm guessing your WOAH." Skylar said as Wink toppled over like a top heavy flag pole with arms.

"What's happening to her!!?" Skylar squawked.

"Headache.." Wink said, before slipping into blissful darkness.  

~~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~***~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~**~*~~**~*~~

Woo, so, that took a while. Sorry, I had immense writers block round about the lab bit. Wont happen again...promise.......yup...

See you in the afterlife