"Ah, yes. There is no need for worry. We believe the human, female by the scent, only came across the body. She most likely saw the body and ran at the sight. The police reports are being monitored in case she reports it, but nothings come in so far about the body." 

Kieran pondered a moment. "And you're absolutely certain there were no other scents? None at all?" 

"No, that's where we're all stumped. It was obviously murder, and yet no murderer." Jacob raised his shoulders, shrugged. "There isn't even a weapon to go on." 

Kieran frowned. Something about the old man's death didn't sit right with him. No murderer and no murder weapon when a murder was committed. He started toward the scene of the crime himself after nodding his goodbye to John and Jacob. 

He didn't care much about the death of an Uncreatable; after all, their existence wasn't exactly natural. But he did consider the message as a challenge poised for him.  

No vampire or other Supernaturals were allowed to settle in an area without the permission of the Region Overseer, which just so happened to be him. An unknown Supernatural was creating illegal abominations and now a slaying had occurred all in his area. Someone either thought him incompetent or stupid.  

Of course, the council didn't know about the occurrences, not yet at least. Still, consequences would be bad for him if things weren't settled soon. 

Kieran stopped suddenly at a small space where the scent of the Uncreatable was strongest. All traces of the blood or the old man had been removed already. A small wooden bench faced north watching the trees lining the edges of the Nature Trails while a willow offered shade for the occasional sitter. 

As reported, only the scent of a human remained. He breathed in deeply, inhaling the oddly appealing scent. Vanilla and earth filled his senses with a hint of something more he couldn't quite place. 

His eyes shuttered closed as he focused solely on the fragrance. It consumed him. It was unique and unlike anything he'd smelled before. Devastating, irresistible, potent. It just wasn't enough to stand there and take in the remnants.  

Without consent from his mind, his body began to follow the traces left behind. 

He followed with a single-minded passion through trees, bushes, and several different paths through the Nature Trails. There was no specific point of direction from what he could tell. There were some parts where the owner of the scent seemed hesitant, unsure where to go. Then, halfway in, the person stayed in a fixed direction, heading toward the northern part of town where university students usually resided.  

He lost the trail when he exited the park. City streets inter crossed, there had been crowds of people and the unique fragrance was lost in the sea of other's. He stood on the corner of a street across from a diner, looking back and forth, scenting the air. 

Feeling unsatisfied and frustrated, Kieran cursed the humans. He was so bloody close to her he could feel it. Then she'd just disappeared like the mystery she was.  

He turned angrily on his heel, feeling oddly empty leaving without the woman whose simple scent consumed him so completely.

Sophie dropped onto her bed with a thud. Well, bed was over gratifying the small, rigid mattress she'd gotten from a Swap meet earlier in the week. Still, it was better than sleeping on the floor and the only thing she could afford for now. 

She could have been home earlier if she hadn't passed by the diner on her way home. The lights had been on in the diner, revealing a frantic Jamie rushing to close the store. She'd entered the diner, intending to say a quick hello, but ended up being scared half to death when Jamie screamed. 

"Gosh! You scared the living Jesus outta me!" she had said with a hand to her pounding heart and tears forming in her eyes that left Sophie surprised speechless. 

"Well now that you're here, you can walk me home, can't you?" she carried on without a response. "I was so worried I'd have to walk home alone. Honestly? I was frightened to death. There've been so many girls murdered lately..." 

By that time Sophie had stopped listening and nodded here or there to feign attention. She'd ended up having to drop Jamie off at her own apartment nearly three miles from her own. By doing this, she'd gained the undying gratitude of her coworker, but wasted hours of her own time. 

Now, Sophie lay exhausted on her ratty mattress praying for sleep. She thought about the park in her sleepy haze. 

She hadn't been sure of the area, so she'd ended up wandering on different trails before following the familiar scent of the diner.  

She'd made sure no one would follow her by blending in with the crowds and mixing her scent with others'. Even if they had caught a whiff of her at the park or on the old man, they wouldn't suspect a human was the old man's demise. Sure, she'd be speculated over and wondered about, but no one would seriously consider a human. 

And for all intense and purposes she was human, according to her scent. 

She should be safe, for the moment.

_____

sorry for the late update!! Comment, vote!!