Breaking the Barrier (boyxboy)

[Author's note: Thank you for choosing to read my story :D makes me happy lol. Prologue isnt really that interesting, just kind of introduces you to the main character. If you like it, comment and vote please ^.^ thank you!!!]

[Atty -->]

Prologue

“Atty, think you could clean something up for me?” My father’s voice woke me up from my slumber. I shook my head and looked up at him, still tired from the lack of sleep I’ve been getting the past few years. I blinked a few times, clearing the sleep from my eyes. “One of the customers dropped a jar.” He pointed to one of the few aisles than walked away. I stared at the person who stood there biting her lip nervously.

I grabbed the mop from behind the counter and dragged it over to the mess. The lady stood there, tapping her fingers together nervously and bit her lip. “I’m sorry; it just kind of fell…” She mumbled. I looked up at her and shrugged, mopping up what I could. She stood there the entire time that I was cleaning up the mess she had made. My father suddenly showed up next to her, making me jump a bit.

“You don’t have to worry about a thing; Atty will take care of it. Do you need help finding anything?” He asked her politely. The lady just shook her head and walked away slowly, still a little nervous. My father ruffled my black shaggy hair, sighing and walking away.

After I finished cleaning up and I walked back to the counter and watched the lack of people walking into the store. I slowly slipped back into my dreamland, yawning every few minutes.

I walked into my sister’s room, holding a knife. “Amber…” I called out for her, turning on the light. She was sleeping peacefully on her bed, curled up in a little ball. I tapped her lightly to wake her up. She turned over and looked at me.

Suddenly she was sitting up and holding my arm, trying to pull the knife out of my hand. “What are you doing with this?” She started to get a little frantic. I kept my grip on the knife as she pulled at it to try and take it from me. “Please let go Atty.” Her voice was a little shaky. I pulled away from her, accidentally cutting her arm in the process.

Amber started crying, holding her hand tightly against the cut. Our mother came into the room, gasping when she seen what I had just done. “ATTY!” She yelled at me, pushing me to the ground and taking the knife from my hand. “What the hell were you thinking?” She continued to yell at me while attending to Amber.

I stared at them, my lip quivering as tears ran down my cheeks. I was only five, I didn’t know right from wrong. “I’m sorry!” My vision became blurry as the tears rolled down my cheeks faster. My mother grabbed my arm and yanked me out of the room. “Mommy please no…” I whined, trying to pull myself out of her grip.

She dragged me into the bathroom and turned on the water. Amber started crying harder. “Mommy don’t! It was an accident!” she tried to pull me away from our mother. Our mother pushed her away, knocking her to the ground and continued on with my punishment. “Mommy!” Amber continued to cry.

“Shut up Amber!” She growled at Amber and shoved me into the tub, pushing me under the water. I reached out to stop my mother from drowning me but I was starting to black out. “You deserve this!” She yelled at me again. I could barely hear her yelling. Suddenly she was pushed and I was pulled out of the water. My father held me in his arms tightly as I coughed up what water I had swallowed.

He carefully helped Amber off the floor while still holding me. “What the hell! What were you thinking Karen?” He yelled at my mother, taking us out of the bathroom. “I thought you had actually changed! You said you would never go crazy again!” Tears filled his eyes as he talked about how mom used to be.

Our mother was born insane. Throughout her teenage years she was in a mental home. She was set free then later met our dad. She didn’t tell him about her mental disorder. He found out when she started acting weird. She promised him it would never happen again; then I was born. I set off something in my mother that made her go insane again.

“That child is a demon!” Our mother shouted, pointing at me. I wrapped my arms tighter around my father’s neck. “He needs to be destroyed!” She continued, trying to grab me out of my father’s arms.

My father hit her, knocking her away. “He is not the demon here Karen, it’s you!” He yelled at her and took the two of us out of the house, swearing he would never come back. My mother was taken back to the mental facility and told she could never see us again or they would send her to jail. Amber forgave me instantly for what I had done to her and she swore to protect me. She went off to college, leaving me with my father and the memory of the time I was almost murdered engraved into the back of my head.

I opened my eyes slowly, realizing I was back in my bed. Dried tears covered my cheeks and wet the pillow my head was resting on. My head ached as the nightmare I relived every time I fell asleep still lingered even though I was awake. I shook my head a little and sat up, running my fingers through my hair. That experience twelve years ago left me silent. I didn’t want to talk to anybody about what had happened; I just wanted to forget about it.

My bedroom door opened and my father walked in slowly. I looked at him, questioning why I was in my room and not with him at the store. “Atty, you through a fit in your sleep…” He sighed and sat down next to me. “Luckily no one was around…” He tried to smile. “…was it another nightmare?” I nodded to his question, handing my head.

He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and shook me lightly. “Everything is going to be alright, I promise.” He kissed the top of my head and left to attend the store, leaving me to think alone in silence. I closed my eyes, seeing the image of my mother drowning me again. Fresh tears started to roll down my cheeks again. I was terrified though I wouldn’t admit it to anyone.