Chapter 02

"Okay then, prissy pants

"Okay then, prissy pants." He held out his left hand which I just stared at. "I'm Jasper, Jasper Runt."

Triggered simply by a student's name, that memory came back to me.

"Remember your assignment!" I signed as my last class ended.

Packing up my purse, I patted my jeans to look for my phone. Where was it? I freaked out a little if I misplace it. It's not that I'm addicted to it, it's that I need it. That's how I get 90% of my information.

I sighed with relief as I picked it up off the floor. Thank goodness. Walking out to the parking lot I got into my car, and started up the engine. Before I went, I saw a note on my windshield. Oh great.

Sticking my hand out my door, I grabbed the note and unfolded it.

Miss Classur- teachers meeting night next Thursday. Please be there.

-Mr.Kensly

Oh, my boss. Sticking the note into my pocket I started back up the engine.
------
Unlocking the door to my apartment, I opened it wide to the kitchen. I sat down my bag on the counter and sat down on a barstool to start grading the kid's latest papers.

It's so weird. Just a few years ago I was in their shoes. It was me writing the papers, doing the algebra, figuring out the science. Now I'm the one who is grading them. It's nostalgic in a way. Sometimes not in a good way.

Don't get me wrong, everything wrong with my life has gotten me to be the person I am today. But they just aren't good memories you know? Some of them are fine. Others are terrible. Others I wish I could forget because they were so great. Those moments were only great at the time, though.

Because those great moments didn't matter in the end. Not with Jasper anyways. Whoa, Jasper? I hardly ever think willingly about that. Obviously accidently memories come back but other than that, I try not to.

He probably made changes and everything but I couldn't accept that. If he made changes, good for him, but I sure as heck would not want any part of it. I've made my life my own and Jasper Runt does not get to ruin that.

How about in thirty minutes we Skype the student June? Marco texted with her information. I agreed and paused grading the papers for the moment. Capping the red pen, I spun around to go and get myself ready for the call.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was tied up in a bun, and I was just wearing what I wore to work. This doesn't require gussying up, it's just speaking to a new student. My phone buzzed again and I opened it back up. From Stacy!

She sent a photo of her and Dustin's two year old son, Caleb. He's was the cutest little boy. They finally got the baby they were wanting after they were married. And just about a month ago, she'd found out she was pregnant again. I love Caleb so much, he's like a son to me even though he is only my nephew.

All three of you come over tonight for dinner! How about 6? I hit send and opened up Skype for the student video call.

Marco and the girl I presumed was the student answered. "Hello, I'm Abira." I used my voice. I mean, she was coming to us to learn sign language.

The girl just waved and nodded her head. "Okay so, Abira this is June. She recently made the choice to learn ASL and I thought maybe contacting you could help June get accustomed." Marco spoke too.

I was used to seeing him speak by then, he'd learned to use speaking as a tool. "Okay." June said.

"So you want to learn ASL? I think that's a great choice. It's helped so many communicate and get to know each other. Sign language is a very special type of understanding." I spoke directly to the girl, who I hoped was understanding me.

"I know that I have to." She didn't seem overly enthused when she spoke.

I took a moment to observe the girl, and think about how she said those words. She was spinning her thumbs. Biting her lip. And for sure was nervous about this.

"This is not something to be nervous about. And you don't have to learn this language. It is an art, a very respectable one." I said.

Marco nodded his head in agreement. "Exactly. It has to be something you are serious about. Even if you can't be passionate about ASL you must understand that it's important. But required? That's up to you." He set a well grounded statement for her.

This girl seemed awfully nervous to be doing this. She clearly didn't want to learn ASL. But just becoming deaf can be hard. When things go wrong, you may not want to do what is probably best.

And we all have to bite the bullet sometime. "I need to do this. I want to be understood and understand everyone else around me." She spoke very strongly about this decision.

"Okay, June. We'll set up a teacher-student call again in a few days. Make sure one of your parents are there to help you, and we'll begin the basics." Marco told her.

After saying a few more things, the girl hung up and that left Marco and I. "Thank you so much Abira." He smiled at me.

"You need to shave!" I joked in sign.

He laughed and shook his head. "I am well kept, thank you. Seriously though, I think you could really help this student." Marco looked to his side and then moved his camera over. Now his girlfriend, Daphne, was by his side.

Her deep brown skin was so pretty. I've always been jealous of dark skin and deep brown eyes. I think it's really beautiful. "Hello Abira!" Daphne smiled.

"Hi!" Before we could continue chatting my phone alarm popped up on my screen. "Oh I'm sorry. I have family coming over and I need to get started on dinner." I signed.

Both Daphne and Marco nodded. "We'll talk some other time." She smiled and waved.

I clicked off my Skype and looked around at my kitchen. I sighed, smiling. Getting off my lazy butt I figured I had to start making dinner.

Stacy and the her family would've arrived in the next two hours or so, I take time to cook. Making sure not to burn anything cooking is almost a challenge when you're deaf. Almost.