Life can be so unfair.

~Prologue~

    “Say it.” She shouted in my face as I stared at her. Her piercing brown eyes seemed to burn their way through my scalp. I wanted to say it. The words were on the tip of my tongue dancing around as if they were waiting for a command. 

   “I-I..I..” I stuttered, my words slurred. She stared at me again but this time her eyes softened. She looked down to the white tiles on the floor as a tear dropped and hit the tip of her shoe. 

    “You can’t say it can you?” She wiped her eyes and looked back at me, that fierce glare returning. “Get out of my face.” She whispered. Although it was a whisper the words weren’t soft nor quiet. To be honest, it was like a bullhorn being blown into my ear. Her words audible only to me filled my brain leaving a trail of numbness behind. 

   “What?” I asked, the shock finally kicking in.  Her eyes wandered around the plain, white, dreaded walls for a few seconds before landing back on my face. 

   “You heard me, leave.” This time her words weren’t a whisper but a loud and clear order. 

   “You can’t make me leave! I need to talk to you, I need to be with you. You need me.” 

   Her pupils dilated before her face hardened. She pushed me with all her might but failed miserably. She was getting weak, I could tell. The once so strong girl wasn’t there anymore. She was getting worse. “Don’t you ever-ever say that I need you. I lived seventeen years without you; didn’t need you then, don’t need you now.” I could tell she wanted to say more but she couldn’t. Her eyes turned dark and her arm fell to her sides before she dropped to the floor. I caught her but I wished that someone else did. I could feel her breathing get labored and shallow. It was as if someone took a baseball bat and swung it to her lungs, knocking the breath out of her. 

   “Help!!!” I shouted with all my might. “Nurse! Doctor! Someone!” No one came to my aid. I wondered why, we were in a hospital. I would have figured there would have been doctors and nurses around but none seems to be. It was as if something was stopping her from being saved; that it was meant to be this way.

~Chapter 1~

   “Wow, look at you Max. All grown up now. You better not forget about me you little punk.” Tiffany said as she ruffled my hair. “Now blow out the candles and make a wish. You’re only eighteen once kiddo, live it up.” I didn’t even have to try, with one blow the candles lost their flame. Now time to make a wish, but I didn’t know what to wish for. I had all that I wanted and needed. I have girls at my feet worshipping me everywhere I went, I had all the money I needed at will, and I was the guy every girl wanted and the one that all the guys wanted to be. The sound of hands slapping against each other brought me out of my thoughts. 

   “Happy birthday babe!” Aubrey cheered before giving me a kiss on the lips. I could smell her perfume as her light brown hair fell over my shoulder. I smiled my charming winning smile and everyone cheered again before bringing their presents to me. I was lost in the pile and piles of neatly wrapped boxes but patting on the back brought me back to reality. 

   “So how long are you going to keep her” My best friend Jake asked before smirking. 

   “Until I get bored.” I replied before standing up. Just as I was about to turn I felt liquid pour all over my shirt. My eye twitched as I felt my temper rising. I turned around expecting to see some asshole who thought it was funny to spill liquid on people but instead I faced a girl with medium length hair and warm brown eyes. 

   “I-I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean it. I really didn’t, I mean I didn’t see you until I turned around. Here let me clean that for you or do you want to clean it yourself because it’s all over your shirt and I’m not sure if you would be comfortable with me wiping or touching. Would you like me to buy you a new shirt? How about soda? No yes? Maybe some candy?” I watched as her mouth keep moving, more words falling out each time. I could help but smile; something about her silliness. I saw her melt as she fell for my charm. Time to tease her a bit just for some fun. 

   “Oh, I wouldn’t mind having you clean me up. How about it? Shall we go?” 

Her cheeks turned a little pink before she murmured. “Yea sure. Just point the way.” We reached the bathroom for family and I watched as she moved to wet the napkins she grabbed from the bin. 

   “Umm..” She looked nervously at my shirt as if asking me to lift up my shirt was going to make her explode. I decided to do her the favor and save her. I lifted up my shirt and stared at her flirtingly. Her cheeks turned bright red. 

   “Oh, I-I umm. I’ll just start cleaning now.” She dabbed the wet napkin over my abs. Her touch wasn’t sexual nor was it needy. It was soft, and lovingly as if I was a masterpiece she didn’t want to mess up. A few minutes passed by and she was still dabbing the napkins but this time it was dry. I got lost wondering why she wasn’t hitting on me or throwing herself at me. “Ahem.” She cleared her throat. “I’m done cleaning and again, sorry about  your shirt.” She didn’t even bother to give me her number, she just turned and left. Dumbfounded I chased after her.

   “Wait, wait, wait. Can I have your number or something?” I asked, unsure why I did it. She looked me up and down and smirk. 

   “ Oh of course, who wouldn’t want you to have their number.” Her sentence was filled with sarcasm. “Just kidding. No you may not, now bye bye. I have errands to do okay?” She didn’t even bother to wait for my reply; she did a cute little turn at left. 

   Jake came in just in time and asked, “Hey man. You okay? You seem a little out of it. How about we go party at Evan’s, I bet that will snap you out of it. Sex and booze. You down?” Too stunned to reply so I just nodded my head. What seems to feel like seconds were actually minutes; a hand snaked its way over to my shoulder before shaking it. “Hey man, we’re here. Let’s go.” As if it was second nature my smile snaked its way to my face and planted itself there before going inside the house. 

   “Ayyo.” Evan’s voice floated through the loud booming music. Bodies were everywhere grinding, freaking on each other. It was like a porn commercial. Just my type of scene, I smirked, the girl leaving my mind completely.