Chapter 7 - Cigs, Coffee and Bitches.

It had been such a completely insane day I had left it all at the door to deal with later. I felt half-starved and set about making food as it kept my hands busy.

After the coffee shop, Van had driven me home (though I’d lied about where it was so he didn’t see the hell hole building) I’d given him my email, address, bank details etc. etc. ad infinitum, all the legal jazz had been discussed and we were ready to officially work together. I was still none the wiser as to what was actually required, but I’d deal with that later. I needed a couple of hours of chores and monotony to keep me sane.

          After dinner I braved the shop for supplies. Van had given me an ‘allowance’ (in actual cold, hard cash – he was way too trusting!) for supplies such as organisers etc. I’d have to go further afield to get some of the things I needed, but for now as long as I had pens and paper, I should be ok. The first thing I had done was to put a password on my phone so if anyone got hold of it, they couldn’t get his details from it. I knew there were people who could easily unlock and hack phones, but it would hopefully discourage one of his many fans. Maybe.

I needed internet access desperately for research and contact purposes and to keep up to date with his presence in the media. If I’m his PA, I will no doubt have to liaise with the press and media to ensure that his good name was being protected. I would need legal knowledge, or the ability to search legal issues. I didn’t even know the laws in England so god knows what they were like over here.

We had a late start the next day, so I headed to the centre of town to grab more things I would need. He’d given me money for more clothes after I had admitted how woefully empty my wardrobe was. He’d grinned as though it were something he had expected me to say, and we barely knew each other. It was probably evident that I had no clue about clothing and didn’t own much. I met a Hollywood movie star in a second hand shirt. I for one wouldn’t care, but it’s not exactly the done thing.

          I wandered around feeling completely lost as tanned, toned, plastic goddesses strutted past me, several making no attempt to show their disapproval of my presence. A couple even shoved into me. Awesome. Apparently wearing bad clothes and not having a tan are as serious as murder out here. My esteem was taking blow after blow and I hated it. I hadn’t felt that great about myself to start with, but this had been the last place I should have come to. Did I regret it? Hell yes, but the ONE single, solitary reason to stay made up for all the other rubbish, and he wanted me to spend his hard earned cash on clothes. Urgh. I hate clothes shopping.

          I sent him a text checking he had eaten, he clearly needed reminding. He sent a photo back of a bowl of cereal he was hopefully eating. I replied asking if he’d gotten much sleep. He sent back a sad face. All the caffeine was not helping, it was like a huge vicious circle, but I doubted they made a caffeine free coffee that he would drink. It would be something to look up.

          I found three shirts of varying colours that looked ok and didn’t cost the same amount as a brand new car. You could tell just from the window displays where you could afford if you lived on my budget. I was more Wal-Mart than Versace at the current time, and truthfully, I wanted to keep it that way. If I ever got to the point where I thought it was ok to spend £100 on a shirt, I would be shipping myself back to the UK. I found a couple of pairs of pinstripe trousers too, along with a suit jacket. I actually looked a bit like an adult with it all on in front of the mirror in the shop, and I didn’t like it one bit. It wasn’t remotely me. But we all have to grow up some time.

          I also grabbed folders and other filing crap that I would need. I would be stealing Van’s phone to get contact details of everyone I might need, and would probably need to send e-mails introducing myself. I ducked into a book shop (my home away from home. Books! *drool*) and lost myself briefly in excitement at the sheer size of it. Would they notice if I moved in? I then remembered I was there for a reason and grabbed a book on how to be a PA. They actually had a book on it. I was impressed. They also (thank the gods) had a book about laws in Hollywood concerning the media! This place had EVERYTHING! I was thrilled.