Chapter 1- Dragged By The Douchebag

Start from the beginning

    “Do you guys know what kind of trouble you’re in?” the cop’s gruff voice grunts out before taking a sip of his coffee. How the hell does he not stain his overly done mustache?

   “You guys know you can get up to six months’ probation for breaking and entering?” the old cop slams a folder down on the table when he’s met with silence.

    “That’s if we’re charged,” Tristan’s cocky voice finally speaks up. Oh please god, do not let him rile this man up.

   “And what possibly makes you think you won’t get charged?” the cop gives him a stare down. I’m surprised at the jock’s ability to hold the older man’s gaze. Meanwhile, I’ve begun to count the white and black tiles on the floor, yuppie. The man rubs his temple before walking out with the younger man in uniform trailing behind, not before discarding of Jericho’s cigarette. There’s a stagnant silence before the bad boy himself decides to break it.

   “Hey sweetheart, what’s your name?” five heads snap up to look at me while all I’m able to do is picture Jericho’s head on a platter.

    “Avery,” I huff before facing forward, looking directly at the wall.

    “Are you new around here?” Kennedy questions from beside me.

    “No,” I mutter still facing forward.

    “Why are you even here?” Demi’s voice carries out through the room. I try my best to ignore her sharp tone. There’s always a harshness to her voice that’s become a permanent fixture.

   “Gee, because she loves to be handcuffed to five strangers perhaps,” Nathan snaps at the girl beside him. I think I can learn to like the nerd. He seems more down to earth.

    “Why don’t you ask the douchebag?” I mutter now glaring at the grey wall, how long before I start making shapes out of it?

   “Whoa, have I hooked up with you before?” at this I turn my face. Tristan seems to be racking his brain, trying to remember if he indeed ‘shagged’ me or whatever term obnoxious guys like him would use.

    “I meant the other douchebag,” I shake my head at him.

    “Oh please, be glad I gave your dull little life something to talk about,” Jericho says as he reaches inside his leather jacket for another cigarette. I really hate this fool.

    “You dragged me into that stupid house unwillingly only for me to be arrested,” I finally let out.

    “Seriously Jericho, you can be such a jerk,” Kennedy snaps at him from beside me.

     “You guys know they’re not going to press any charges so chill out,” Nathan tries to be the voice of reason.

                “How can you be so sure?” I look at him skeptically. Before he can open his mouth to say something else a commotion is heard from outside. 

                “I demand you release them at this moment,” a deep voice booms from outside our interrogation room. Tristan smirks while getting up causing all of us to get up. I’m already tired of the close proximity. Not a minute later the cop gruffly makes a reappearance and moodily releases us from our steel confines. I rub my left wrist carefully.

                “You’re all free to go,” he leads us out of the stuffy room and a gust of fresh air allows me to breathe in normally again. The whole group begins to disperse and leave the station, I heave a heavy sigh. Out of the corner of my eye I see a distinguished looking man talking to Jericho, well more like scolding. Is he the one that bailed us out? I roll my eyes and head out into the dark night, it’s going to be a long walk but I don’t really mind. That had been my initial purpose, to go for a walk and to a small store and just buy food to pig out. But no, the big bad wolf had to creep up on me and drag me to god knows where. I still don’t even know why we all ended up in that same house, what were the rest doing there?