Chapter 7

I do not know if Sesshomaru understands this, or even cares, but his lands are indeed incomparable. I've never seen anything so... calm. Everywhere else, demons flock like rats, hunting anything that moves. This place is so much different...

It makes my chest ache. I know this feeling, but I'm not sure if I can obey it. Two dog demons in the same lands? Something is bound to turn sour. Especially considering I despise his bloodline.

A frightened yelp startles me from my reverie of thought, bringing my gaze to the ground. A young girl dressed in a neat kimono is on the ground, one piece of her hair tied to the side in an odd fashion. She stares at my foot in shock. Oh my, I nearly stepped on the poor thing...

I place my foot down on the earth beside her, watching her carefully. She's very young, barely into adolescent years at best. Her surprise quickly calms, her face turning towards me with a bright smile. I am used to that innocent, childish smile, but the fact that I am receiving it in this form... It's almost disturbing. Come to think of it, her kimono is oddly neat and fresh considering there are no villages nearby.

"You almost squished me!"

She sounds more amused than frightened. I watch as she stands, dusting the dirt from her kimono. It's rather plain, not standing out too much.

"You look kind of like Lord Sesshomaru... Are you his cousin?"

Sesshomaru? This girl knows of him, and even speaks of him in a friendly manner... How odd.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk. I'm Rin!"

I'd rather avoid running into Sesshomaru, considering I nearly crushed this human. If she is something of importance to him, that would be most unwise... I glance towards the sky cautiously before carefully avoiding stepping on the girl again as I continue on my way. Thankfully, she doesn't try to follow.

Follow.....

I'm slowly coaxed back into my thoughts by memories of the sick little boy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Jaken, Lord Sesshomaru, you're back!"

Run is always smiling. I can never understand it, though I don't really care to. My lands have been calm as of late, which is unusual considering the dark arrival. The dark one leaves little trace, wandering to and fro aimlessly.

"Lord Sesshomaru, do you have a cousin?"

My gaze moves to Rin as she smiles up at me. I don't need to respond, as she keeps speaking as soon as she knows she has my attention.

"I saw a black version of you. He was really quiet, and he seemed lonely. He almost stepped on me, but then he was careful not to as he left. I wonder if you know him? I liked his eyes, they were so pretty!"

So Rin has seen the dark one. That means he must be close by... Perhaps it's time to confront him about his prolonged stay.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The stars here seem strange to me. Almost... vivid. Perhaps it's simply because I've been staring at them so long, laying here next to a natural hot spring. The steam fascinates me, though my mind is not calmed by it or the stars. I feel strange. Conflicted.

Where should I go? What should I do? I have no purpose anymore. Perhaps I should simply return home and receive my fate, a death at the hands of my own kind. Sensing a familiar presence, my furred head moves down from the sky to turn slowly, meeting a cold golden gaze.

Sesshomaru. Has he come to punish me for nearly stepping on that girl? Or is it something else he wants? I blink at him, watching his cautiously. He doesn't move for a while, simply watching. I stare back for a time, before shifting my gaze back to the steam.

"Have you come to kick me out?"

Silence. I feel like I know that silence all too well. I feel... sad. I move my gaze back to those unchanging eyes.

"So you have... A pity. I was enjoying the peace of your territory."

I heave myself to my feet, untucking my front leg and turning to leave. I make it partway to the trees when he speaks.

"Your shadow is gone."

My shadow...? Ah... he means the demon who's been following me for some time. My old home enjoys sending little reminders from time to time... His words make me pause, an invitation to look over my shoulder at him.

"So it is."

Another moment of silence. I can feel his eyes on my left front leg, which oozes the, now dead, demon's poison amongst my caked blood. I flick my tail, unsure how to react by his piercing gaze.

"Yes, it did this. Though I killed it afterwards. You might find its body somewhere... I don't really remember where."

Those golden eyes move up to meet mine, which instantly makes me more nervous than anything. Never has a dog demon met my eyes before... I shift my weight a little, resisting the urge to shy away. He blinks once more, before turning and leaving the way he came. That in itself confuses me. Am I to leave? Am I to go? What does that mean?

Why must all of my kind be so confusing?

I think... I will stay just a little longer. I want to bask in the peace of these lands before returning to the chaos of another place. Yes.... Just a little longer.

Just a few more days.....

Perhaps... I'll feel better then.