Dustbin Darkness

I opened my eyes. I could hear the sound of shuffling feet and muffled voices. I knew that I had protection no longer; the towering black wall that stood squashed by my feet could hold me prisoner no more. I stretched my arms out wide and sat up. The voices were getting closer every second. I positioned my self in a crouch and slowly, ever so slowly, began parting the wall in front of me. The round, smooth cylinder shapes surrounded me from every angle, but the middle was the easiest place to escape. I grabbed the rag that lay sprawled across the ground and stood up. I looked around every angle, then, when I was sure that the coast clear I took flight.

Eventually I stopped running, but even when I did I was moving a a fast pace. Where was I going to go? What was I going to do? I rounded a corner and noticed a gap in the buildings, an alley! Perfect! I began to jog down the road and swerved into the alleyway. It was extremely dark, and even though I should have been used to it by then, the stench that filled my nostrils was unberable! The alley was also extremely long, it felt like it had gone on for ever, when suddenly I stubbed my big toe on something hard but smooth.

"Only a dustbin." I reminded myself, "only a dustbin..."

I found a gap and crawled through it. I closed up the opening and leant against the wall. The darkness seemed to fill my mind with thoughts: Were they still looking for me? Who were they? When was I going to eat again? Was I safe?... But the thought that lingered in my mind the most was: Are they still out there?