Chapter Sixteen

Taralyn’s POV:

Today was my first day of my new job at the shop, I was kind of excited. Johnny was going to pick me up afterwards to take me out to eat to celebrate my new job. Johnny told me that he was going to try to get Josh to come along, but I doubt that that would work. At the end of my shift I walked out of that hot shop sweating like crazy. I see Johnny’s car parked right at the door and run over to him. The truck beside his car looked like Josh’s but I doubt it was.

“You look pretty sexy.” Johnny smirked.

“Yeah, that’s some bullshit.”

“No, I’m serious. Overalls and a tank top really suit you. The grease and sweat make you even sexier. And your hair, damn. I’d like to kiss you right now.” He smirked while getting closer to me.

I smiled then he moved closer to me wrapping his arms around my neck. His eyes moving back and forth from my eyes to my lips. His lips pressed down on mine then I returned the kiss with more passion. The passion that we both shared during the kiss made sparks fly, in my mind at least. He slammed me into the side of the car just to deepen the kiss even more which I didn’t think was possible. I wanted to let him feel what I was feeling so I parted my lips and slipped my tongue into his mouth. Our tongues danced happily together until we pulled away to someone clearing their throat.

When I turned to see who it was, my heart kind of hurt to see who was standing there. Josh was standing there with hurt written all over his face. The kind of hurt that looked like he would begin to cry at any moment. I didn’t know why though, I mean we were just best friends.

“Josh…” I trailed off.

“No need to explain, its fine.” He tried to laugh it off. “I’m just ready to get going.” Then he got into his truck to wait for us to get in the car.

“Why didn’t you tell me he was here?” I snapped at Johnny.

“I didn’t think it’d matter.”

“Yeah, right. It’s fine, sorry. Where we going?”

“To the diner that you love.”

“Aw, awesome. Why isn’t Josh riding with us?”

“He said he can’t stay long, has something to do.”

“Right.”

The ride to the diner was pretty quiet other than Johnny’s iPod playing. Which was playing some metal stuff that I hadn’t heard before. Johnny went to the bathroom once we got to the diner, leaving Josh and I alone in the booth.

“You look pretty good like that.” Josh tried to joke but he still looked sad.

“Ha, yeah thanks.” I laughed. “Look, I’m sorry..”

“No, don’t be. It’s fine.”

“It’s not.”

“Really, it is. We’re not together anymore, things are just going to have to go on even if I don’t want them to.”

“You guys order yet?” Johnny asked before I could reply to that.

“No, we waited for you.” I replied.

“I’m not hungry, I’m just here to celebrate.” Josh smiled.

I knew there was more to why he wasn’t eating though, Josh was never one to turn down food. After about 10 minutes of sitting there with us Josh decided that it was time for him to leave.

“I’m proud of you Tara, I really am.” Josh told me before hugging me. “We’ll go fishing tomorrow after you get out of school.” He told me then left.