The Sidewalk Boy

The annoying screech of my alarm clock caused me to slam my fist down on it, almost crushing it's delicate frame.

I had to crawl out of my bed, all fours on the floor. Pulling a pair of gray skinnes out from the bottom of closet, i caused a stack of folded clothes to shake and tip over. I couldn't be bothered to pick it up.

I groaned and zipped a black hoodie over my Misfits tee. Jamming my feet  into red converse, brushing my hair and teeth, and applying heavy eyeliner to my newly cleaned face, i decided it was time to go.

" Are you going to school like that." My dad sad with a hint of disgust.

" Yes." My voice dripped with venom.

" Don't forget your lunch." He said raising his eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes, and shoved an apple in my backpack. It'll have to do. 

Seeing as i had no car, i walked down the cracked sidewalk by myself. I noticed that on the opposite side of the road, there was another person following. A tall guy, with brown/black hair and a gray beanie, and a backpack hanging over his slumped shoulders, was kicking rocks out of his way as he approached school.

I kept my head straight forward, trying not to stare at the boy who had turned left, whereas he should've kept walking. Instead of going to school, he passed it, and made his way down the street.

There was no other high school close enough to walk, so he can't be going to another place. I ignored the boy and tried to find my friends.

The classes dragged on forever, not that i knew what of. I continued to draw all over my journal : ment for notes, used for doodles. 

In my favorite class, Music, with Mr.Bencik, was the only class i bothered to pay attention to. But today, we had a substitute filling in. 

I hate subs for Music. They don't know how to read sheet music correctly, they don't know how to conduct a band, they have no idea what the song goes like, but that's just the ones i have.

We watched a video showing us how to properly read sheet music. Basic stuff, like measures and rests, and eighth/quarter/half/whole notes. 

I knew all of this, so i dug around my book, looking for the doodle pad, when i came across a comic book. I almost forgot i had it in here! 

I cheerily pulled it out and began to flip through the pages of action, when i noticed the boy from the sidewalk doing the same thing.

I was merrily reading my X-Men comic, when i felt air being blown down my neck.

" You like comics too?" The Sidewalk Boy, as i liked to call him, smiled as he pulled up a seat next to me.

" Hence the comic book." I chuckled slightly before flipping to the next page.

" Have you read this one?" He asked, placing the newest X-Men comic in my lap.

" Lucky! I haven't been to the store in forever! I need to go soon." I pouted.

" Well you should pick this one up. I love the part when Professor X totally kicks-"

" SPOILERS!!" I yelled, cutting him off. He chuckled while others turned to stare at me.

" Is there something you need to share back there?" The substitute raised an eyebrow. 

I shook my head and sunk into my chair, finishing the comic i was reading. I didn't talk to The Sidewalk Boy after that, though i wish i could.

After school, we walked back the same way we came. On opposite sides of the road.

~~~~

Later that day, where i talked to The Sidewalk Boy, i decided to make a long overdue trip to the comic-book store.

" Bye dad." I whispered, leaving the house as soon as i could.

I prayed for no reply as i shoved in headphones of my ipod. 

I happily kicked rocks out of my way during the trip to the store. Past the heavy glass doors, i was greeted by the bright lights and warmth of the store.

I smiled like a little kid and ran my fingers across the shelves. I found the X-Men issue that The Sidewalk Boy had shown me, and attacked it. 

I picked up some new ones too, taking in the beauty of a new polished cover. Smooth, shiny, the vibrant colors that popped out of the pages.

I smiled all the way home, clutching the plastic bag the comics were oh-so-carefully wrapped in. As i was walking, I saw Sidewalk Boy. He was on the other side, going in the direction i came from.

I guess he saw my books, because he smirked and continued to walk. 

Still, on the opposite side of the road