Bumps In The Road -Paul Imprint Story-

Start from the beginning

After nearly an hour of driving, Emily steered the truck up a dirt driveway and brought it to a halt in front of a two storey home. I got out and met Emily at the back of the truck, where she unloaded my luggage. A small smile subconsciously found it's way to my lips at the sight of the place. Flowerpots were bunched together on the front porch, creating an array of colour to contrast against the wooden exterior. The house almost looked like an extension of the forest, between the plants and the wooden exterior.

"I just want to warn you, Kira," Emily said gently, as we walked to the front door, "My fiancé's friends come over often, they are terrific guys to hang around, so I don't want you worry if you come downstairs one morning and randomly find someone on the couch. I just wanted to let you know though, because that's why the door is always unlocked." She finished walking up the stairs on the front porch and slid the front door wide open, making her point. I had no problems with that.

"Thanks for heads up."

"You back, Emily?" A deep voice called from the living room.

"Yeah, it's me!" She responded. I heard heavy footsteps leaving the living room and a tall tanned man walked out. A dark shirt covered his slightly stiff looking shoulders, but his eyes said it all. He looked sceptic at the sight of me, even though I think he was trying to hide it better. But it wasn't his fault I had the upper hand.

"I'm assuming you're Kira?" He asked. I nodded. He extended his hand. "I'm Sam Uley, Emily's fiancé. I don't think we've met before."

"My mother is good friends with Sue Clearwater, we may have crossed paths once or twice" I grinned, shaking his hand. His eyes narrowed slightly at my remark and glanced at Emily. If he was bothered by my remark, he hid it well. Aside from my comment, I noticed how warm his hand felt in mine, but perhaps my hands were cold today from the cooler air that lingered in La Push. He cleared his throat.

"So, I suppose you'll be the one filling up that spare bedroom for the next few months" He commented, brow lifting slightly. I wondered if he was trying to lighten the mood or express his annoyance for the living arrangements.

"Not unless you need the room, the couch is fine too" I assured him with a forced smile.

"Don't be silly, Kira. I'll show you to your room" Emily chuckled and led me up the staircase.

"I'll get your bags" Sam offered, picking up my suitcases.

"Thanks" I mumbled, following Emily to my new room. She walked into a clean room with a window facing the beautiful forest and a door leading to a connecting bathroom. The walls had a lilac and blue patterning painted on it and a framed painting of a Wolf was hung above my new double bed. The room was more spacious than what I was expecting, with a desk on the opposite wall and a chest of drawers as well as a built in wardrobe.

"It's really great" I smiled genuinely. She let out an audible sigh of relief.

"I am so happy you do. I didn't know about the previous colour of the wall, so I got Sam and his friends to change it. I guess they didn't do that bad of a job" She admitted, placing her hand on her heart and leaning on the door frame.