Chapter 2

"Is it time yet, mummy?" said Prince Jareth in excitement as his mother tried to pull his fancy shirt over his head.

"Not yet, my dear," said Adelaide with a giggle, "Now please hold still! Don't you want to look nice for your party guests?" The little prince nodded with excitement and did as he was told. Adelaide slipped Jareth's skinny little arms through the sleeves of the shirt and pulled it down so that the shirt covered his belly. "There," she said with a smile, tucking the shirt into Jareth's pants, "A perfect fit!" Jareth excitedly scurried to the mirror and Adelaide chuckled as she watched her son admire himself with glee. She could feel tears building up in her eyes, but they were not tears of sorrow. It seemed like it was just yesterday that she was rocking her sweet baby to sleep, and now here he was, preparing for his fifth birthday party.

Each year on the day of his birth, Queen Adelaide and King Balthazar held a grand ball in celebration for Jareth. Everyone from all over the Underground was invited. However, this year was special. In the land of the Underground, it was tradition for a young prince or princess to begin lessons on their future duties once they enter their fifth year. It was also tradition for a prince or princess to be betrothed to another at this age.

"What do you think, mummy?" said Jareth, turning around to face Adelaide. "Don't I look smashing?" Jareth's crooked baby teeth gave him a small lisp when he spoke, but Adelaide found it absolutely adorable. The gust of wind created by Jareth's twirl caused his blonde mess of a mane fall into his face, making his mother chuckle. She walked over to him and knelt down to his level. She parted Jareth's hair with her hands so she could see his face and kissed the child's forehead, making him giggle happily.

"You always look smashing, sweetie," she said, causing Jareth to jump into her arms in a warm embrace. As Jareth snuggled up close to his mother, squeezing her lovingly with his small arms, Adelaide reached for the hairbrush on the mantle. "But," she said, gently moving Jareth off of her, "we must brush your mane back. We wouldn't want the guests to be shielded from your handsome face." Jareth tried to blow the hair out of his face, but it just fell back down. Adelaide turned him around and carefully began to brush Jareth's hair.

"Mummy?" Said Jareth, looking at his reflection in the mirror ahead of them.

"Yes, precious?" Replied Adelaide, focusing on how to painlessly remove the knots in Jareth's hair.

"What if the other princes and princesses don't like me?" He asked nervously.

"For what reason would they have not to?" Jareth looked down and played with his fingers.

"I don't know..." Adelaide grabbed a hair tie from the mantle and tied back Jareth's hair in a small ponytail. She rested her left hand on her son's shoulder and used the other to lift his chin up to look into the mirror.

"You know what I see in that mirror?" Jareth shook his head. "I see," continued Adelaide, "a delightful, polite, handsome, and incredibly special little boy that everyone is going to adore." Jareth smiled, but then turned to his mother with a frown.

"But how do you know?" He asked, his bright blue eyes staring up at her. Adelaide picked up Prince Jareth and twirled him around, causing the child to erupt with laughter and delight.

"I'm your mother!" She exclaimed with a smile. "I know everything!" The two's laughter was interrupted by the door to Jareth's room opening.

"Your majesties," said a servant as he walked in with a bow, "the guests anxiously await your arrival."

"Of course," replied the Queen, putting Jareth down, "Thank you, William." Servant William nodded and left, leaving the door open behind him. Adelaide waved her hand and a small cravat tied itself around Jareth's neck and tucked itself into his shirt. "Ready?" She asked, looking down at her son. Jareth took his mother's hand and nodded, and the two walked out toward the ballroom.