chapter four

chapter four is dedicated to wonderwall123 because her Harry fanfic Baby Doll is one of my new favorites. go check it out, I'm sure you'll love it just as much as I do.

oh and the gif to the side is Collin Arlington. happy reading

"How are your first few days of Ninth Year going, Collin? You haven't gotten in any trouble yet, have you?"

"I'm doing fine, Jen, don't worry about me. Tell me about uni; is it as great as you'd thought it would be?" my younger brother Collin asked. He was one of the few people I had confided in with all my hopes for university and my life after graduation. I hadn't spoken to him since I left home two weeks ago and I was dying to tell him everything. Even though Collin was only 15, he was so clever and understanding. He was basically my best friend.

"Well... ah, it's been interesting. My classes are easy so far and my roommate is fantastic. Her name's Violet, I think you'd really like her. Oh and I went into the city this morning and I found the cutest little vintage shop ever and I got to talking to the owner and she hired me! Isn't that awesome?" I grinned.

I heard him chuckle on the other end. "What? You, Jenson Arlington, have a job? That is just great. I can't wait to see how long it takes before you trip and fall and knock the whole thing down,"

"Hey! Have a little bit of faith in me, would ya?"

"Alright, alright. You know I'm just messin'," he laughed.

"Anyways, how are mum and dad? Is George doing okay? I've been wondering if he was still having trouble with that other little boy from last year..." I frown remembering the multiple times when sweet, quiet George came home with a busted lip, or black eye, or bruised arms courtesy of another kid who picked on him just because he was different. Who knew six year olds could be so violent?

"Mum's good, she's been busy planning an event for some restaurant opening about an hour away so I haven't seen much of her except in the mornings. Dad is as busy as ever, he had to deliver a set of triplets yesterday because the regular delivery doctor is on vacation. And as for George," he paused and sighed, "I don't really think he's taking you being gone very well. He's talking even less than usual and his teacher sent home a note that said all he does in class is draw and stare into space. Mum's been gone a lot too so I've been trying to get his spirits up, take him to the park and buy him new toys and stuff but I don't know, Jen. He's acting funny."

My heart broke at the thought of little George being so upset about my leaving. "Is he with you? I wanna talk to him," I said.

I could hear Collin call for George and hand him the phone. "Hello?" George sad timidly.

"Hey kiddo," I replied. "How ya been? I miss you,"

"I'm okay. I miss you lots. It's no fun without you here." His lisp sounded worse on the phone.

"I know it isn't, George, and I miss you more. How is school? Do you like your teacher?"

He was silent for a moment. "It's okay. My teacher reminds me of a witch from that Halloween movie."

I laughed. "You're doing your work though, right? And paying attention to the lessons?"

"Yep." he replied.

"George, don't lie to me. Collin told me what's been going on. Do you wanna talk about anything with me?"

I heard his breathing get faster and he whimpered. "I miss you, Jen. Come home," he said through sobs. My heart hurt for my baby brother and right then I wanted nothing more than to be able to comfort him. He has such a hard time, and now I've made it even worse by leaving him.