Chapter 1: An unexpected arrival.

Artemis Fowl the Second sat at his desk, frowning at the computer screen in front of him. When his parents decided to go away on a three-month-long cruise with his two younger twin brothers and himself, Artemis made immediate plans to get out of going, as he had absolutely no desire to spend three months on an inadequately furnished ship with little or no internet connection. In the end, he payed a rather despondant doctor to give him a leg cast and an emergancy note to his parents, telling them that Artemis had fallen and broken his leg and would not be able to accompany them on their cruise. His parents recieved the note with "ooh"s and "aw"s and cooed over "poor little Arty" until they left. As soon as they were gone, Artemis removed the cast and set to work on finishing the plans for his latest scheme.

It had been so long since he had done anything remotely illegal, and he was longing to exercise his brain. Hours of solving all of the supposedly 'hardest Sudoku puzzles in the world' were barely enough to relieve his boredom. He needed a real challenge. Of course, he was still being monitored by the LEP, making his work even harder, and even more stimulating.

The LEP stands for the Lower Elements Police, the law enforcement for the underground fairy civilisation. Artemis had duped them a few times now, as well as helped them when they were out of their depth. 'Which is always,' he thought, with a small chuckle. However, their technology was far more advanced than that of humans, meaning that they could monitor his every tiny movement with the click of a button. This presented the dilemma that Artemis was currently facing.

He adjusted himself in his chair, checked his security cameras, then went back to staring at his computer screen. How could he get around the LEP? An encryption perhaps? No good. The fairies were masters at code breaking. Their own written language was an intensely complicated jumble of pictograms, that even Artemis had found difficult to break. He frowned. Perhaps he could try re-routing a particular server and lacing it with a biodex hack? He shook his head, laughing at his own stupidity. Something like that would stand out to the LEP like a 200 foot flashing light stuck to the top of his manor.

He rapped his fingers on the desk. The challenge before him was giving the young genius an enormous amount of pleasure. He leaned forward in his chair, and was about to further explore the possibility of using a biodex hack, when the walkie-talkie beside him beeped.

It was Butler, Artemis' personal guard, a giant of a man that could kill you in a hundred ways with only the first two fingers of his left hand. Artemis clicked the comms button on the walkie.

"I assume this is urgent, Butler".

The large man cleared his throat, which, over the small speaker of the walkie, sounded more like the angry growl of a bear.

"We have a visitor, Master Fowl."

Artemis raised an eyebrow. Fowl Manor did not receive many visits at all.

"Who is it, Butler?"

There was a pause, then "I don't know."

"We'll make an educated guess! Is he a businessman? A salesman?"

Another pause. "Master Fowl, I think you should see for yourself. Security camera six."

Artemis was perplexed. Butler was being unusually evasive. He brought up security camera six on his computer screen. It was a view of the main gate at the entrance to Fowl Manor. The camera was blurred from the dark clouds and heavy rain. The picture was clear enough, however, for Artemis to make out the shape of a young girl, slumped against the gates. She was roughly dressed, her scruffy clothes hanging loosely off her thin frame. Her face was covered by a hood, but he could make out the long, black strands of hair that were whipping around her face in the freezing wind. She sat still and limp. Collapsed, maybe?

Living so far out in the Irish countryside, the Fowls had never had an issue with homeless people at the manor. The sitution was alien to him. Still, Artemis was not entirely heartless. Besides, the girl looked about his age. He couldn't just leave her at the gates in weather like this.

He picked the walkie-talkie up. "Butler?"

"Master Fowl?"

"Would you please carry our guest inside? I believe she is in need of some attention."

He clicked off the walkie, and watched his monitor, as Butler scooped up the girl, and carried her toward Fowl Manor.

______________________________

Hello! Long time since I've updated! Is anyone still reading?