Isaac thought about listening in, making sure that Alec didn't go too far in their little chat, but he didn't. Clary wasn't his responsibility anymore, she chose Jace. She told him her problems first, like she used to do with Isaac. He was the backup friend now, only needed when Jace wasn't around.

         Isaac sighed, going to sit down beside Isabelle. The girl looked at him with concern, "What's going on between you and Clary?"

         It was a simple question – it should have been a simple question. There was nothing complicated about it, but everything was. He couldn't tell, he couldn't tell the secret to someone else before Clary. He couldn't, that would be a betrayal in Isaac's eyes.

         "Nothing," he shook his head, but it was clear that the girl didn't believe him, "It's just – it's just I feel like she doesn't like me anymore."

         It wasn't a lie. It was more of a half-truth. That was a fraction of the problem. Not half, not one-third, just a small portion of the problems he was having with Clary at the moment.

         Isabelle laughed slightly, "Of course she likes you. You're like a brother to her."

         That was the problem. They were already like siblings, and Isaac knew they were. Clary didn't. He knew, she didn't. That was the problem. They were related and Isaac never told her – and he wouldn't tell her. He couldn't.

         "Thank," it didn't help him at all, but it was polite to say that. "I needed that."

         Isabelle smiled. It was a smile that he had never seen her wear before. "Thanks," she said.

         But, their sweet moment was ruined, however, when an alarm started to go off, signaling that there was a threat outside. Isaac and Isabelle stood up quickly, looking to Jace.

         "There's something outside the perimeter," Jace went over to Alec with the other two trailing after him.

         "I told you..."

         "Don't say it," Jace was quick to cut Alec off, not wanting for him to continue.

         "What's happening?" Clary asked, and Isaac stole a glance at her. It didn't help his guilty conscience at all.

         Isabelle sighed, looking at the monitor, "Looks like someone's trying to break in."

         "Could be the Circle," Jace said, walking to the door with the others following.

         "Told you so," Alec smirked again, feeling the tiniest prideful for being correct in the situation.

         "Too soon," Jace sighed.

         There was no more talking as the raced outside, ready to attack whoever had shown up to the Institute. The Lightwoods and Jace raced to the front while Isaac stayed in the back. He was tired of fighting.

         It wasn't long before they saw a figure of a man holding a body, and when Isaac listened, he couldn't hear a heartbeat from either of them. Vampires.

         "Don't move," Jace spoke first before Alec continued, "Drop whatever you're holding. Put your hands up."

         The man turned just as Clary ran up. Isaac saw Raphael holding the body of the very familiar, annoying mundane.

         "Oh, my God, Simon!" Clary gasped, and Isaac pieced it together;

         Simon was dead.