4 ➼ Heart Beat

(NIALL'S POV)

The corridor is now busy with people getting to their lessons and I can feel eyes on us.

"First day and you've already turned him into a homo."

"Ew, gays."

I know who they are. Josh and Caroline. They moved here last year and they're the most homophobic people I've ever come across. If it wasn't for Louis, Liam and Zayn then they would've had me by now.

Harry pulls away and looks at them.

"Who are you?" He shouts. Then I remember he doesn't know I'm gay. This could be bad.

"I'm Caroline and you're disgusting." She states coldly. Then she turns to me, "You move fast, queer."

"Leave him alone. We're not even gay."

My stomach churns because I think Caroline is going to tell him.

"OHHH, I'm sorry, we'll be off then." She acts shocked, turns and walks away with Josh following her like a lost puppy. I just stare in their direction. What's she up to? I'm officially scared.

"What the fuck was her problem?" Harry turns to me.

I shrug. I'm not going to tell him I'm gay. We only just found eachother again, I'm not going to lose him already.

"Who knows... I just can't believe you're actually here."

"I know. You wouldn't believe how much I've missed you." He strokes my cheek. I can see why they thought we were gay now. We probably look like a couple. I'm not complaining though.

"I thought you forgot about me. Why did your dad not let you call?" I ask. He keeps his hand on my face as he answers

"We hardly talked after we moved away. Turned out he was having an affair with some surfer girl. It was like living with a monster. I wrote you letters instead. I always thought you were ignoring them."

"Are you kidding me?! I never got anything. If I had an address I would've posted myself to you." I say all at once. He laughs.

"I didn't think of that. Imagine opening your door and getting a Harry in a box?" He says still chuckling a bit.

"So, how was life in Australia?" I ask wanting to catch up instead of going to class.

"Terrible."

"What? Why?" I ask, bewildered. I thought he'd tell me about all these sunny adventures he had with his close-knit gang of hot Australian guys, but then I realise that's just in the movies.

"School was boring. No friends. Nothing to do. Only the gym and it always smelt of old-man sweat. But yeah.." He trails off.

"No friends? Yeah right! You're the best person I know! There's no way you didn't make friends. Good one, Haz." I laugh. He's obviously joking.

"Ni, I really didn't. I didn't want to.. they weren't bad, they just.. I don't know. I didn't have anything in common with them. Plus, they weren't you."

My heart melts and I just want to squeeze him. I know I told him not to replace me but I didn't mean he couldn't make a friend. It makes me sad to think he was alone all those years.

"Anyway, enough about my tragic life, how's your life been? Got a girlfriend?" He asks casually.

Yeah, he's called Michael Jackson. I am not telling him I'm gay.

"It's been okay, I guess. The boys really look out for me, thanks for that. But no I do not have a girlfriend." I try to hold in the cringing look on my face but I think he sees it.