Stupid First Impressions - Part 26

Start from the beginning

“And I know this is stupid because I shouldn’t be pushing my luck but why are you even still deliberating then? If you’re already only doing this stuff with me, if Luke doesn’t make you feel the way I do, why can’t we just be together?” He sighed and changed topic before I could find an answer. “Sorry, I’m just feeling a little bitter because the girl I love is hung up on a guy who isn’t worth her time. So, what exactly are they making in there. Tea or are they picking the leaves by hand?”

“I- I’m not sure. Maybe they’re just giving us a little privacy because they know they’re freaking you out. Or maybe my Dad wants to see you sweat a little before he gives you his approval.” I tried not to let on that he had slipped up and said the ‘L’ word instead of like. I tried not to let on how incredibly happy it made me to think of him being in love with me. I ducked my head, letting the hair cover my face a little.

“Hey, cheer up! At least they haven’t thrown me out yet,” he grinned, pushing the hair back from my face and rubbing my cheek. “So, you know, I’m one step ahead of Eller.”

“They didn’t kick Luke out, Geoffrey; I did.”

“Even better, that means you don’t like him as much as you like me. Now, show me where I am to sit to receive this tea,” he said regally, clapping his hands together twice. I punched him in the arm and led him through to the kitchen. “So, Mrs Martins, how far along are you?”

“Oh, I, uh, I’m twelve weeks in. We’re expecting the little bundle of joy in June/July. Amy’s going to make a wonderful big sister,” Mum trilled, looking at me proudly.

“Oh, no doubt. She’s really good with my little sister, Tessie. And my can Tessie talk! I bet Amy’s the only one in this room who could keep up with her,” Geoffrey grinned and tugged my hair affectionately. “But, you know, they say siblings are just practice for when you have your own kids one day.”

My Dad almost choked on his tea, his face going bright red. My Mum had just stopped moving, her jaw hanging open and a teabag dangling from her fingers. “What?” Geoffrey asked, looking confused. “It’s true, isn’t it? My Mum always told me that if I couldn’t take care of Tessie, I was going to be useless when I found the girl I finally wanted to marry.”

“I…think they’re just a little surprised that you brought up having kids on the first time they invited you over,” I said drily, giggling at my Dad who was finally going less purple. “But that’s just because they don’t know you yet. He’s full of inappropriate knowledge and it just spills out of him at random intervals.”

“Right,” Mum said brightly, clapping her hands together. “How about you help me set the table for dinner Amy?” She gave me a look which clearly meant I didn’t have a choice so I grumbled an agreement, shooting Geoffrey an apologetic look. He grinned back, winking.

“Mum, what are we doing?” I whispered when we were in the dining room. “It’s totally not cool of you to leave Geoffrey on his own with Dad. And why do we have to set the table?”

“Well, I assumed you’d want to eat at the table if you have a friend over. And your father wants to get to know him, just in case this gets serious.”

I set the table in record time, creeping back towards the kitchen. I wanted to know what my Dad was asking him, to know what I wasn’t allowed to be in there for. Mum saw me standing at the swing door and rolled her eyes but didn’t stop me.

“…and I’m in her English class, with Mr. Robinson. She helps me keep up,” Geoffrey was saying, his voice a little tense.

“So, you met her in English? How come this is the first time we’re meeting you properly then? Or have you had designs on my daughter for a while?” I blanched, wondering if I should burst in or let them work this out on their own. When a silence began to spread, I figured I should interrupt and make them change the subject. But the Geoffrey began to talk.