Ch. 5 - Heartless Monster

Start from the beginning

"Pull over. Ghost, I need you back here." Hunter stated.

The vehicle immediately stopped and Ghost exited to climb in the back. Once the giant man was situated the car began moving again.

Ghost smiled weakly at Raven, "Let me see."

She cradled her arm to her chest and shook her head "no". Hunter sighed, grabbed her leg opposite of him, and twisted her over. Raven found herself straddling her kidnapper, and adrenaline rushed along with the heightened urge to flee.

Holding her firmly in place by her hips, Hunter glared at Raven while she tried pushing his hands away. She was focused on his unfailing grip and didn't see the death stare, but she felt his eyes bore into her skull, adding to the growing fear. Gently Hunter removed one hand and lifted Raven's head by her chin. Her eyes were filled with terror, causing Hunter's expression to soften. Raven didn't want to look at him, she wanted Hunter to be a bad dream and seeing his face destroyed her hopes of waking up soon. Raven closed her eyes tight, secretly praying he'd disappear. A single tear escaped and Hunter brushed it away.

"Let him see." he whispered.

The injured hand was now closer to Ghost, and he reached out to grab it. Raven didn't pull away even though she wanted to. She winced at the pain of Ghost's probing fingers and he mumbled an incoherent, "sorry" before continuing his investigation into the injury.

Raven tried looking away from Hunter, but he wouldn't allow it. Each time she tried to watch Ghost or stare out the window he'd force her to face him again. Raven wanted the physical contact to stop by any means and so she did the only thing she could think of; she began talking.

"What do you want with me?" Raven demanded.

"Oh, I can think of hundreds of things I want with you, but that can wait until we're home." Hunter smirked while his eyes wandered over her form. Raven fought the desire to puke at his suggestive stare.

"Are you going to kill me?" Raven asked the generic question.

"You have to wait your turn. I get to ask the next question." Hunter teased, "Why do you insist on fighting me?"

"Because you killed Jackson!" she screamed.

Hunter was outraged by the response and reached up suddenly, grabbing Raven around her thin neck. He felt tempted to squeeze with all his strength, to slowly force her windpipe shut, but restrained himself. He judged the amount of pressure applied by the way his fingers sunk into her skin, and focused on the small detail. When Hunter was sure Raven could still breath he pulled her forward, their noses almost touching.

"Don't ever mention his name again." Hunter gravely warned, his breath hot against Raven's lips.

"I think it's just a sprain," Ghost interrupted, "Their might be a fracture too. Either way, wrapping it should help it heal."

Hunter released his grip on Raven, slightly shoving her back, and nodded to Ghost who reached up front and grabbed a bag. Digging into the pack's contents, he retrieved a roll of gauze wrap and some tape then set to work wrapping the injury. Raven lost interest in conversation.

"What does it feel like?" Hunter asked while he watched Ghost wrap her wrist.

"What?" Raven said in confusion.

"Your wrist, what does it feel like?" Hunter clarified while looking back at her.

"It hurts." she responded.

"Explain it." he requested.

"Why?"

"Because I can't feel pain and I want to know what you're experiencing." Hunter answered impatiently.