Chapter Twenty-Nine - Inner Demons

Start from the beginning

I pretended to mull this over slowly, and nodded, bowing my head. “Will I be okay? Is my mom here?”

He gave me a tentative smile, revealing straight, perfect white teeth, as if he were an orthodontist and not a doctor. “You’ll be fine. You have some minor cuts and bruising, but those should clear up, and your knife wound should heal over. You may have a scar, but it’s better than the other result.”

“And my mom? What about my mom?” I queried. I didn’t care about a couple of bruises and contusions. Or even the scar. I hardly looked in a mirror, when would I ever notice them?

He shook his head. “We haven’t been able to get in contact with her yet,” he informed me. “We’ll keep trying, but she’s not picking up.”

Figured. She had no idea about my other personalities, nor the things and crimes I had committed inside Mapleton Mall. As far as she knew, I was still missing. She was probably driving around town looking for her lost daughter. I felt a pang of guilt and sorrow, but pushed it from the forefront of my mind. I had just committed eight murders—with the help of Jason, but still—and I had other things to focus on right now.

“Miss. Miller, what you went through last night was beyond traumatic, so I should let you come to terms with things and just rest.” The doctor stood, blotting his hands on his pant-clad thighs and gripping the clipboard. “We’ll keep contacting your mother until we reach her. Rest assured. But you should know, Miss. Miller, that we have on-sight counselors who would be happy to see you for the duration of your stay at Mapleton Medical Centre. And they can arrange for you to see a full-time counselor, if you wish. Everybody is here for you. Don’t feel alone.”

I gave him a small smile, feeling exhaustion press into my eyes as more morphine entered my body. There was a dull throbbing in my side, but it lessened considerably each passing second. “Thank you, Doctor Harrison,” I replied politely, closing my eyes.

I heard the door close softly behind him as he left, and thought about the night’s events, before slowly drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

~*          ~

When I woke up hours later, thirsty and disoriented, my eyes met a pair of charcoal-grey eyes that pierced into mine, and I let out a yelp of shock at the sudden new addition to the cold, modern hospital room.

My eyes adjusted, and I saw three policemen standing there. The first was a tall woman with red hair that was tied back in a severe bun, and light-grey eyes the color of sheet metal. She was tall and wiry-thin, official and stern. She scared me just a little, even though she was only about thirty, give or take a year or two.

The next was an older man, maybe bridging on sixty to sixty-five. He had wisps of silver-white hair that were slicked back with gel. His face was covered in wrinkles, and he had puckered lips, a crooked nose and mossy green eyes. His nose was covered in freckles, and he was of average height, but robust, and jolly looking. He could easily play Santa at a Christmas party, if he had longer hair, a beard and a red-and-black suit.