Chapter Twenty- Six*

Someone says my name but I can't grasp it. Suddenly I'm ten again, and my mother is flying kites with me. They tore through the sky, ending on a tree. I wasn't even disappointed once it caught, I had my momma there.

     "Get up", someone groans, shoving me clean off of the cot I was resting on. I open my eyes, flinching at the bright light. Solider Nathaniel was standing over me. "We have to go, now".

I stand, frowning as I notice I'm still in my military gear. "What happened? One minute I was interrogating someone and...", I pause, my eyes widening. "Gale"

"Yeah, Gale" he says, his voice low. But I see the hint of a smile playing at his lips. "I don't understand why you came back. You knew that this wasn't just some gang. It might've been, a couple years ago. But then it was just an idea".

I knew the story. How it was drunken mumbles until my dad changed the law. But where was he going with this?

"Everything is televised, every single thing your father does against the gay community. You didn't think people would want to fight back?", he asks, throwing my shoes towards me. "Well they did, and they're here. Seems like your Gale is helping lead this war". This didn't surprise me, Gale had known all about it. I had a feeling he was at the party himself.

     "Gale had only told me that it was growing, that he was going to join them", I say, chewing on the inside of my cheek. "I loved him. I didn't know what could come of it at the time. I didn't think about it. I just wanted him", I sit back down, shaking my head. "And to answer your question, I came back to fight who I was. Gale didn't love me enough to stay, so I'd fight back against him".

     He ponders it for a second, looking away from me before sitting down. "I came here for the same reason, to fight against myself. Look how goods it's doing, our soldiers are dying. Article1 has numbers we never could have expected this. We'd have been better off joining the other side".

      "Where we belong" I whisper in continuation. He turns to look at me. "We're just denying ourselves here. Where's my father?", I ask, standing. I had an idea. I could switch this. I could make this right.

     "I'm not jumping ship because we're losing", he says, shaking his head. "I should have been brave enough to join in the first place"

      I'm already shoving on my shoes, a smile not leaving my lips. Maybe it lead to this? Maybe the universe was pulling me in this direction. "They were brave enough for us. Thousands of them, more coming I'm sure. We can join the fight. Be who we are"

      He stands, clenching his jaw many times before clenching his fist. "So what do we do? The rest of them soldiers have gone to the White House, to cover your dad. There's a whole fight going down in the lions den. Once our soldiers are dead, they'll spread. And they'll head right for the White House".

     I take a hat from the bed close to mine, placing it on my head. "Then we join them. Did you kill any of them?", I ask, grabbing a bag from the same bed. I didn't know what was in it, but it could come in handy. He shakes his head, running a hand through his thick, black beard.

    "They'll accept us. Believe me" I say, rushing towards the door. I don't have to turn to see if he's following, I hear him close to me. I jump on the four wheeler they'd been using to move back and forth, starting it up with the key left inside.

    Once we reached the bottom, horror was all we could see. Blood filled the floors, gore and guts staining the walls. Someone had put the article1 posters back up, and blood was splashed across each one. My eyes find the sight of a bloodied Gale, slamming a knife down into a soldiers chest. Blood sprays him and he leans his head back, a satisfied look on his face.

I suppose him and his friends had waited a long time for this moment. He had a right to enjoy hurting the people who hurt him. But it still made me sick, especially when he dropped the knife and walked towards me.

      "I'm not going to hurt you!", I shout in desperation. "Please, please. Understand I was hurt. I lost you, and I was trying to find the part of myself that was wanted. But it's not there. I can't force myself to be something I'm not. I didn't want to do any of this, I want to make it up".

    Gale looks to Natalie and she smiles. "Welcome back" she says and a sob runs through me. She comes up, wrapping her arms around you. "I knew it would end with you"