Making The Cut

It's always a matter of life or death. Although while the burning feel of courage runs through me, the over whelming sense of dread brings a panic to my senses. Who were we kidding? It's the world against us today.

I take a deep breath, trying not to think about the fact that this might be my last. But too much of spare brain work only reminds me. Adrenaline already surges up my brain, saving me yet again in these tough times. Deep in my mind, I ask how much is left until I'm up on my own instincts.

"Pile up boys, a huge mob of tangos are beyond this door." Cpt. Murray briefs us, but from the pounding of feet and the breaching of doors, there weren't any doubt that we don't stand a chance. Hell, this site could be our last stand. Forgotten and lost into this cemented catacombs of Iraq, like how many men died before our own imminent deaths.

"It's now or never boys." Catnip whistled. Although the voice rang loud and clear in our ear pieces, several men glanced to the back.

"Ain't complaining, but it's weird to have you in my squad." Cpt. Murray says, shaking his head from side to side. I permission myself to smile.

"Ain't that the truth."

Heavy pounding shakes off the easy air. I could hear everyone's anticipating breaths as we await in this room. I roll my shoulders to calm me down, and before I even raise the AK-47 I picked up, I looked at every single personnel we have in here.

Thinking who's lives would be lost.

Wondering if it would be the last time I'd see them.

Acting like a pro, Cpt. Murray checks his clock and announces it's 13 hundred hours already. A thought runs through me. It's 1:00. Our rescue is late.  A lot of muffled tones of defeat erupts from the squad. While the captain remained strong, he didn't dare correct the mentality of the group. He knew too well this would get bloody.

Catnip catches my eye. With a quick nod of assurance, she tips her U.S. army hat.

And I knew I could do this. Park shuffles forward, professional hands slowly opening the tough wooden door that had made a barrier between us and them. Between life and death. He curiously opened the door ajar, small enough to poke the nuzzle of his gun through the crack. Everyone held their breath, hoping that nothing awaited us. Hoping in vain. Before anyone could follow, Park stumbles back and falls to the ground. Dead. And by then, all of hell broke loose.

"Let's roll Rangers!"