Movers and Shakers

“So have you seen the new kid?” Emmy asked me as I casually ate my salad. When I heard that I almost choked. Since when did Justice High get a new student? Above that...who would want to come to Justice when there are thousands of other schools in the world? I looked around the cafeteria searching the faces for one I didn’t know. All I saw were the faces I’ve seen since kindergarden. I was confused, where was this new kid Em was talking about?

    “Uh who?” I raised my eyebrow as I looked around.

    Em smirked, “So you don’t know, do you?” She elbowed Jessica and sighed, “Jess, tell Brynn here about Sawyer Hall. She obviously hasn’t seen him walking down campus with um... I don’t know Delaney Anderson? Or Sami Jensen?”

    “No way!” I exclaimed. How could those two get a guy who had only been in Rangely  for a day? It’s taken a year and a half for Ashton and I to hook up! But then again, those girls are part of the well known slut-trap at Justice High. In 7th grade Delaney Anderson dated a 9th grader which made all of her other followers decide to do that. Now Delaney has a posse of 25 that swarms, dates, and spits out the first guy they see. This was a record.

    Jess nodded and took a bite out of her veggie burger, “Twurns ouwt,” she gulped, “turns out that Sawyer came from England.”

    “So he’s foreign, anything else?” There had to be something amazing about him if the whole school was buzzing about him. It seemed like the whole city of Rangely, Colorado noticed someone new was in town. That’s still shocking me, nobody’s ever moved to Rangely. Why would someone who’s lived in England come and live here? I was quite suspicious.

    “Oh well I heard that his parents are filmmakers and writers. Apparently they moved here because Sawyer wanted to live in America for once.” Emmy said. Her face soon lit up. She whispered, “Look there he is!”

    I spun around to see Sami and Rain Jensen’s arms linked  with the boy. His pitch black hair and his ocean blue eyes glanced around the cafeteria until they met with mine. He smiled, winked, and walked over to Delaney’s table where she glared at all the onlookers. Delaney grabbed his hand and pulled him in for a kiss. My face heated up, with hate or envy? He kissed her back and sat down where they broke apart. I knew it was envy.

     Why was I jealous? I already had a great boyfriend. Ashton was a great guy. I just thought I recognized Sawyer from somewhere.I would never cheat on him. Anyways I didn't even know Sawyer. But I felt like I'd known him my whole life. Maybe I should get to know him, I thought. I nearly stood up from my table when I noticed Ashton coming this way. I sat down and shook the thought of Sawyer out of my head.

   "Hey Ashton, did you see this weeks' show?" asked Jess

   He rolled his eyes as he walked over to our table, "No duh. Looks like that guy's gonna learn his lesson."

   I chuckled, "And fast. I bet twenty bucks that he'll last one week with her." Knowing Delaney's record of one week, it was a sure win.

  "I'll say that he won't last three days. After that nobody will remember him and his popularity will be ruined!" Emmy stated dramatically. Emmy was a thespian-in-training or so she called herself. We all laughed at her theatric bet. We could always count on Em to give us a performance.

 Ashton put his money on the table, "I say it will last till our football game on Saturday. Delaney loves jocks way more than new kids."

  "Mmm hm," Jess licked her lips "Nothing better than Denver's quarterback!" Jess had a fling with every quarterback from here to Burlington. She had something about her that made all the guys fall all over her. The funny thing was she never noticed, and she barely cared. If she wanted a date she could find one in five minutes. Sometimes I wondered how she did it, but she would always say, "I never reveal my secrets."

   "So it's on? Winner takes all!" I announced with pride. Everyone nodded. I felt bad taking advantage of the new kid like this but, hey, I needed some cash badly. So the bet was in progress and we all felt pretty positive that this new kid, Sawyer, would be chewed up and spat out by Delaney really soon. We just didn't know how soon. That would come as a shock later when we found out who Sawyer Hall really was.