Merch

// A D A M S  P O V //

If you asked me which state or the name of the venue we were currently in I wouldnt be able to tell you. My mind was completely sidetracked.

"You're still staring, it's getting creepy." Ross piped in from beside me as we were coming back from catering.

"Am I?" I asked, unaware I was doing so. His comment making me self conscious. The last thing I wanted was to look like a creep.

"Here," Ross stopped to take my to go container from my hand.

"I'm gonna go back to the dressing room, you go talk to her and come back when you're done." Before I could interject, he was gone. Walking back towards the dressing room carrying two to go containers. Something I'm sure he'd be teased about upon entry.

Suddenly alone, I looked around to find her. It wasn't hard. Her quick and frantic movements made her easy to spot. A man wheeled in four boxes on a tiny fork lift and placed them beside her. What seemed to be very few words were exchanged, before he put the packing slip on the top of the boxes; which happened to be just a head taller than her. Seeing her blindly reaching, I decided to help.

"Need some help?" I asked as I approached, catching her eye. Without an issue I grabbed the order slip from the top of the box and handed it to her with a soft smile.

"Thanks but I really didn't need your help. I'm a little short, I'm not handicap. " She snapped, snatching the slip from my hand before moving towards the merch table. I was taken back but followed her anyways. She moved behind the table that was covered in boxes. More boxes than I was sure was our merch. Our opener had a few things but nothing to create this much chaos.

"Listen your merch will be put up soon, okay? I'm one person. And I have all your shit and the other rooms headline act and there openers merch. I don't have the luxury of having people do things for me." Her voice was annoyed, she was definitely not in the mood to be bothered but I was already here.

"You think it's shit?" I asked, leaning on the wall beside where the table sat. This caused her to look up from digging through one of the boxes.

"What?" She snapped again, a wave of realization washing over her.

"Oh, shit. I didn't mean it like that." Finally pausing to take a deep breath. She ran her fingers through her hair before turning towards me.

"I'm sorry, I'm being a bitch. I'm just really running thin here." Her voice finally an even tone. Being this close I noticed she had beauty marks on her cheek.

"It's fine, I think we could've done better." I shrugged, not too concerned with our merch at the moment. With a tiny laugh she smiled.

"I'm Dakota," she stuck her hand out for me to shake.

"Adam," I responded, taking her hand in mine. Immediately noticing how soft they were. Our eyes held each other's for a moment before again she smiled and took her hand away. Going back to digging through the boxes of merchandise, I watched her as a thought occurred.

"How did you know I was in one of the bands?" My interest piqued as I had only helped her with the packing slip yet she barked about having our merch up soon. A lot of which doesn't have our face on it.

"When you work merch at a venue for long enough you can tell the band members from Jimmy the bar tender and the promoters." She raised her brow playfully at me as she ripped open the bags of containing tshirts.

"No offense but you're a very tall, slender British guy. You kind of scream 'band member'" she continued to sort the shirts in size along the side of the box labeled 'The Muffins"

"I don't know if I should be offended or take that as a compliment." I furrowed my brows, unsure if she was insulting me or not.

"Definitely a compliment. Your band is the only one out the acts tonight I actually know. Between you and me; I think you're the cutest out of the bunch." Her back was to me but she looked over her shoulder, a slight blush in her cheeks making me smile.

"You're not too bad yourself." She rolled her eyes playfully as she went back to unpacking everything and I realized I'd just been standing here.

"Do you want help?" I asked, pushing myself off the wall. She shook her head.

"It looks worse than it is. I mean it is a lot and the guy who helps me called out but I can manage. Thank you though." She responded as she went to clip up one of our shirts to the metal display. Her height getting the best of her I took it upon me to help.

"You sure?" I teased and she giggled.

"I'm positive, that's what the ladder is for." She crossed her arms. I was catching on to that she'd much rather struggle but do it herself rather than get help.

"Artist or not, you're not allowed in my workspace." She ushered me out from behind the table.

"I don't come prancing around your stage." She teased back making me laugh.

"Touché. Well if you finish early tonight, the guys and I were gonna go out and get drinks. We play here tomorrow too I'm pretty sure so we get to chill a bit. You're more than welcome to come." I rested my elbows on the table.

"You sure you'd want the merch girl there?" She crossed her arms again, a look of skepticism on her face.

"I'm positive. I'm sure there's a lot more to you than merch. Do you have paper?" I asked pulling the sharpie from my pocket. She handed me the packing slip from earlier and flipped it over. Writing my number on the back I slid it back to her.

"Text me when you're done, and I'll let you know where we are. I'd love to get to know you more. " I smiled, slipping the marker back into my pocket as a venue worker approached me saying our manager was looking for me. Saying quick goodbyes we went our separate ways.

The show had ended and like always the crowd floods over to the merch booth. I could already see Dakotas hair moving as she turned quickly trying to get to everyone.

"Dude, lets go." George called to me as we were slipping out the back to head to a bar a few blocks away. We got there and drinks started flowing, a few hours went by and I was getting the hint I wouldn't hear from Dakota. We had just ordered another round when my phone buzzed.

435-555-8762
Sorry it took me so long. Blame your fans and their merch needs. Are you still up for drinks?

It's Dakota by the way.

I texted her back the address of the bar and it didn't take long for her to arrive. I met her outside.

"I'm glad you made it." I smiled maybe too big as the alcohol had kicked in. I reached out to give her a hug.

"Honestly after that mess I need a drink" she laughed as we went inside. I introduced her to everyone. Ross giving me a subtle look of approval before we carried on with the night.

A/N: I'm back!!!! I really liked writing this one. I've missed writing, especially about the 1975. I love those guys, especially Adam. Send in requests!! xx H