2

“ Thank you for choosing us Mr. Lockheart. I’ll have the contract delivered to you on Monday.” I said feeling a little relieved that the meeting went well.

“Just call me James. Have we met before? Don’t get me wrong, you look familiar.” He asked looking like he’s trying to remember something.

My whole body stiffened and I felt the blush returning. “I-I don’t think so James.” I stammered.

He looked at me in the eyes and said, “Wait, you were that crying girl I nearly killed.” He accused. His eyes narrowing while walking towards me.

Oh good lord not this please. I prayed.

“I’m sorry James, just... just let it go and forget it please.” I took a step back, embarrassment hitting me full swing.

“Fine but are you alright now?” I saw genuine concern flashing through his eyes which was quickly replaced by confusion and then finally a blank look.

“Yes I am perfectly fine Mr. Lockheart. Once again, thank you for choosing us to design one of your hotels.” I guided him through the door and escorted him outside the office.

“Have a good day.” I smiled.

           ~•~
I was drowned in my thoughts when Rachel pulled me in for a hug.

“Congrats Cee! I knew you’ll own it!” her smile was replaced by concern when she saw my face. “Are you okay? You look pale.”

“I’m fine Rach. We got the deal.” I breathed out.

“You know I can read you like an open book right? You’ll tell me later? We need to celebrate. It’s Friday anyway.” Rachel hugged me.

“Yes and yes. I also think I need a drink.” I mumbled.

We closed the office and went to a bar nearby. Rachel quickly spotted a table. We took our seats and ordered our drinks.

“Okay Cee. I’ve given you enough time to collect your thoughts now spill!” her eyes narrowed at me.

“Remember the day I caught Kyle with that bitch?”

Her eyes suddenly went wide with realization. “He’s the man who nearly hit you?!”

“Yes Rach, it’s him. He was so angry back then.”

“Damn girl! You weren’t kidding when you said he looks like a god!” she squeaked.

“I know right! I was so surprised that I didn’t choke on my tongue when you introduced me to him. It made the meeting a little awkward though. He was eyeing me like a hawk.”

I didn’t know how many drinks we’ve had when Rachel pulled me in to the dancefloor. I was a little dizzy but I let the music guide me and I started to feel myself loosening up.

I danced until my feet hurt. I signalled to Rachel that I will be going to the bar. I asked for a glass of water and was about to go outside to catch some air when a hand grabbed me.

“Miss Chloe nice to see you.” He smiled.

I was so flabbergasted when I turned.

“Mr. Lockheart you scared me!” The tension I felt slowly slipping away.

He chuckled and my heart did a little flutter. The sound of his voice made me feel calm.

“Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you and please stop calling me Mr. Lockheart. It makes me feel old. So, how are you doing?” he asked.

“I’m good. I’m actually here with Rachel, we’re celebrating the deal we closed with your company.” I looked in his eyes. Damn! They really do make me feel comfortable and relaxed.

“Are you sure? The first time I saw you, I don’t know.. you seem.. lost.” He raised his eyebrow at me.

Oh no. Not this again please.

“Yes I’m sure and please... let’s not talk about it again.” I sighed. I can’t say that I’m not hurt anymore, but I’m doing much better now since I caught Kyle with another woman during the day of our anniversary.

The pain is still there but I won’t let that hinder me from my goals and dreams. Plus, working keeps me busy and I have no intention of getting back with him.

“Okay.. uhm.. Do you want to go for a walk with me?” he suddenly looked nervous then he flashed his billion dollar smile.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” I muttered.

“And why is that?” He suddenly looked amused.

“Well there’s probably a lot of paparazzi who keeps on following you everywhere taking note of what you’re doing.”

“So? What are you trying to say?” he said smiling.

“Hmm.. I don’t want them to think that I’m like those girls who would throw themselves at you with just the flick of your wrist.” I blabbered.

“Wait. What?!” He suddenly looked annoyed.

This man can turn from being nice to being annoyed real quick.

“You heard me James. Everyone knows about it. I really need to go back. Goodnight.” I turned away and looked for Rachel.