Ferhat

It took her 4 hours to fall asleep. She was in the midst of it when a creek behind her snapped her eyes open. One of Deena's greatest fears was that she'd wake up to the sound of someone in her room but when she checked, she'd see no one there.

This is why she never watched horror films. Driving herself insane with flashbacks from the film and imagining their possibility of finding life in hers was something that she knew was well within her ability.

This, however, was not the aftermath of watching a horror movie. Someone was in the room with her.

Even the air shifted to occupy another set of lungs.

Pretending to roll in her sleep, her hand slid under the pillow- she wrapped her fingers around the rubber grip of her gun. But before the panic fully set in, she smelled it. His cologne.

Ferhat was in her room.

She let go of the gun, and turned around. Deena looked up at the man's figure. It was too dark to make out his face.

"What're you doing here?"

"I read your papers" he began, dropping what sounded like documents onto her hardwood floor. "I have a question."

Ferhat motioned with his hand for her to scoot up. He sat on the edge of her bed when she did. "Where did you get this information from?"

She sat up. "What time is it? You couldn't wait 'till morning?"

Deena knew there was no point in addressing his presence at that hour. He didn't really seem like the kind of man who cared for morals or proper visiting etiquette -let alone the law.

"I'm a man of urgency."

He stood still. Ferhat was waiting for her to answer his question. There was no avoiding it. But it meant the success or failure of her plan if she gave into his allure. Deena suspected that the reason he was in her room that late at night was not because he was a 'man of urgency'. The real reason he was in her room at that time was because he wanted to intimidate her. He wanted to let her know that he can get whatever he wants, whenever he wanted it and at that moment he wanted information.

"You know I can't give you that information."

"No?"

"No."

"You see," Ferhat moved strands of hair from her face "the fact that you were able to have access to this kind of information poses a problem for me."

"I don't have access to the information- those," she looked in the direction of the documents "that's all of it. There aren't any copies. None that I know of."

Ferhat chuckled.

"But then you remain. I'm sure you read what's on those papers."

"If I were going to pose a problem, would I have come to you in the first place?"

"Maybe not. But not knowing what your stake is in all of this isn't a very comforting omission of information."

"You know what my stake is in all of this."

"How could I, when you're withholding that bit of information."