iv.

i release the cherry sucker from my mouth with a pop, it's sugary-sweet taste coating my lips. but the flavor soon turns bitter like medicine.

jacob's muscular arm drapes lovingly over aspen—i glare at the two behind thin-framed glasses. jacob knows i'm staring at him because he glances at me from across the cafeteria every so often. jealousy creeps under my skin and begins to boil my blood.

but no matter.

usually we'd be fooling around the library, but ms. holloway has us organize books today. she sternly gives us directions, pointing a manicured claw towards multiple piles of books. jacob and i nod to signify our understanding of her orders.

when she leaves, jacob looks to me. "why were you staring at me today?" he asks.

i don't answer. instead, i reach for a book from one of the piles and flip through it.

"troye," he whines, grabbing the book from my hands when his plea doesn't earn him a reply. "answer me!"

"it's nothing you don't already know jacob," i say without looking at him, grabbing another book.

he smirks, putting the book he took from me into a new pile. "does that mean you're jealous?"

"no!" i reply too soon.

he raises an eyebrow at my defensiveness, smiling wide. "whatever you say."

even though i'm annoyed with him, i smile. i try to change the subject. "so, this saturday. drive in." i place both hands on the edge of the table and prop myself against my arms. "you in?"

"what movie?"

i grab another book. "does it matter?"

jacob pretends to be gravely taken aback. "as a film-connoisseur, i have to say it does. spill,"

i make my way to the opposite side of him where he made a new pile. once i set the book down, i hoist myself onto the tabletop to sit. "it's heathers."

my heart swells when he gives me a wide, giddy smile. "you should've led with heathers, troye."

"i'm taking that as a yes," i stare up at him, beaming. my mouth hangs open for a moment, the remnants of a smile still lingering on my face. "it's a date." i say it like i'm joking.

he pretends to be flattered. "pick me up at eight."

it's settled. we go back to sorting, cracking a few jokes along the way. no one is closer to jacob than i. but no one is farther from where they want to with him than me.