Chapter 1

A/N Dedicated to angelpclark for helping me write this chapter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the stab wound, he then staggered back; I ran towards him tears running down my face. I then took out my phone out of my pocket and called 999 and hopefully, thinking Max would be safe. When the ambulance arrived all I was thinking was Please let him be alright. I couldn't bear it if he died, he was my life now. If he died I was going with him but there was one problem with that I don't die easily. I'm not normal. I shouldn't even exist, but I do, so I try to enjoy my life but this is one of the moments I just can't enjoy. I couldn't bear to watch another one of my loved ones dying. I'd lived alone for so long before I found Max but I couldn't do that again. Someone was talking to me I turned around and saw a member of the ambulance crew standing beside me.

"Sorry, but what did you just say?" I questioned as I hadn't heard anything she had said.

"I asked if you would like to come to the hospital with your brother." The ambulance member replied.

"He's not my brother." For some reason everybody thought he was my brother I don't know why we don't look anything a like; he has jet black hair, mine is naturally blonde. He has dark brown eyes, I have bright blue. Absolute opposites but people still think he's my brother.

"Oh. Sorry, would you like to come all the same."

"I think I should." I didn't trust anyone in this town so I thought the safe option was to follow him.

I followed her to the back of the ambulance and then got in the back with Max. He was unconscious but they had stopped the bleeding so it wasn't as bad to look at him. His jet black hair covered his closed eyes he was so still he looked... no I couldn't even think that as the consequences would be too great. My parents always listen to everything I say and even think (yes I said think) and takes everything into their own hands so if I even thought for a split second the worst thing that can happen, Max wouldn't even exist.

The hospital was twenty minutes away from the graveyard and for the twenty minutes I was with Max in the back of that van I was praying to my parents (yes I said I was praying to my parents). As I said I'm not normal, my father isn't normal and neither is my mother so none of us are normal apart from my brother. So I envy my brother rather than hating him. He lived a normal life and died a long time ago. Unfortunately I have to watch my step as danger is round every corner for me and I've lived longer than anyone should but I still look seventeen. I wasn't born like this, I chose it and that's the one choice I often regret but also the best choice I ever made as otherwise I would have never meet Max.

When we finally arrived I had to leave Max as I was not allowed to be there while they were doing... whatever they were doing. That's one of the upsides to my choice I can't remember the details of things I don't want to know. The downside is I sometimes also forget things I don't want to forget which is why I don't want to leave him or let something happen to him because I never want to forget him.

About five minutes later a nurse came out "He's regained consciousness. You can go in and see him if you like."

"Ok thanks."

I walked slowly not expecting anything but expecting everything as well. I walked through the door of his room and saw him lying there on the bed. I walked over and sat by the bed, he looked towards me and it as if he could see right into whatever soul I have and read all my thoughts, but that's how it always feels when he looks at me. That's probably because he can see into my "soul" and read my thoughts mainly because I let him but also because he loves me and whoever loves me gets an invitation to my soul and thoughts. That can be good or bad because it means I can't hide anything from them at all but I don't have to say soppy things like I love you and things like that.

"So how do you feel?" I asked

"How do you think?" he replied

"Well I don't know I haven't felt real pain in a long time remember." I reminded him.

"Oh. Yeah. Well it's painful but I don't know what it looks like as I can't see that part of my back."

"So you want me to tell you what it looks like." I guessed.

"Yeah, is that alright?"

"Yeah it's fine just as long as it's not too disgusting."

I looked at his wound it wasn't actually that bad. They stitched it up so you couldn't really tell what had happened.

"It's fine." I told him.

"That's good I didn't want you here if I had a disgusting gash on my back."

"I don't care if you have a gash on your back I still ..."

"I know you still love me no matter what I look like." He interrupted.

"You know me so well."

"Of course I do."

Then we kissed. Most people would think that if I couldn't feel pain I wouldn't feel anything at all but his kiss was the most amazing thing I felt. It wasn't like this was our first kiss it's just that the emotion we both put into every kiss became stronger every time so it was even more amazing than the last time we kissed.

"I love you." I told him.

"I love you too." He replied.

"I know you do." I told him. I realised the time and I knew that visiting time was over. "I have to go now."

"I don't want you to leave. Can't you stay longer?"

"I can't visiting time finishes in five minutes."

"So you have to go now?"

"Fine I'll wait five minutes."

"If you don't want to stay you don't have to."

"Oh no I want to stay I just don't want to get in trouble with the staff."

"Oh yeah I forgot you were the one who never gets into trouble and I'm the one who walks into knives."

"Don't joke about that it brings back bad memories, not just of you." I told him my voice shaking.

"Oh sorry I forgot about your past with knives." He said obviously he was sorry and he never said things like this normally so I just ignored it and forgot about it in the space of a few moments.

"Now I definitely have to go." I told him.

"Is that because of my comment?" he asked.

"What comment? It's almost 8 in the morning so visiting time is over." I explained sort of confused about what he was saying. I couldn't remember any offensive comment that had come out of his mouth ever.

"You've forgotten about it already?"

"Well I must have since I don't even know what you are talking about."

"Okay I'll see you whenever I next can."

"Yeah, I'll come at lunch if that's fine with you."

"Come anytime you can since my parents don't know I'm here and even if they did they wouldn't care."

"Yes they would. They love you even more than I do."

"No they don't no-one loves me more than you."

"You say that every time."

"Excuse me am I interrupting anything." I turned around to see one of the hospital staff standing by the door.

"No you're alright I was just about to leave."

"Okay you can come back later; he should be feeling much better then." She tells me.

"Yeah, I'll see you later Max."

"See you later, Riley."