Chapter 1: The Dean is a Dick

"A time loop? I don't understand, how is that even possible?" I ask the dean, unsure what else to ask, even though I know he is under the effects of a truth spell.
"Well as I've told you twenty three times before now Quentin, Jane Chatwin is a very talented magician. Since you've failed to kill The Beast the last twenty three times you took him on, Jane has been forced to send you back in time again and again, restarting the loop and changing one thing every time."
"So if he's killed us so many times before, why wait so long to tell us? Why not, I don't know, let us get ahead of the curve for once?"
"Because Quentin, you had to figure it out for yourselves. If a group of promising young magicians, now keep in mind, those are Janes words, not mine. I have very little faith in any of you, except perhaps Alice and your dear friend Julia, but if you were unable to figure out on your own where The Beast is from, and what he wants, then what chance would you ever have of defeating him?"
"Well is there at least some sort of trick or weakness you can tell me about?"I ask, exasperated at the smoke and mirrors of the whole situation.
Although it is impossible to see through the dark glasses the dean is wearing, I'm convinced he just rolled his eyes at me. "Quentin if I knew how to defeat him, do you really think we would be having this conversation? I certainly wouldn't have lost my eyes and hands to this creature if I had some sort of ace up my sleeves. You're the Fillory expert, so this is your mess, you clean it up!"
With that the dean stormed from the room, slamming the door as he left, leaving me with more questions than when I began.