Prologue

1816
"Ava!" Brad called frantically. "Ava are you home? I need to talk to you."
She walked out of her room to find him searching for her. He turned around to see her and he was immediately in front of her gripping her shoulders tightly in his firm grasp. She gasped in surprise and tried to wiggle out of his grasp.
"Brad! What's wrong? You look like you've seen Death himself," she laughed nervously.
"Ava. I need to ask you something."
"What? Is something wrong?"
He panted, trying to catch his breath like he had been running for a long time.
"Do you love me?"
The question caught her off guard and she stammered as she tried to answer.
"I-I... why wouldn't I? I m-mean of course I do."
"So... you would do anything for me?"
Again, the question puzzled her.
"I- I guess,"she stammered again.
He let out a sigh of relief and grabbed her hand and began to pull her out the door.
"Where are you taking me? Brad! Answer me!" She yelled angrily as he continued to ignore her and drag her out her back door and through the gate leading to the forest behind her house. She dug her heels into the ground but he only pulled harder. She cried out in pain as she stumbled but he only dragged her. Thorny branches and rocks scraped at her body and tore the white day dress that she was wearing. She pulled herself to her feet as he rushed through the thick foliage. They seemed to walk for hours. She didn't know where he was taking her but he appeared to know exactly where he was going.
After dragging her forever, they came to a curtain of vines deep in the forest. He pushed them aside and dragged her into the dark depths of the cave hidden behind the thick vines that blocked any sun light. She stumbled over hidden holes and rocks that Brad was able to avoid. Soon a grey light appeared in the far distance and Brad began to walk faster. Soon the path smoothed into a stone path. As they neared the faint grey light, a tall stone castle appeared looming over the entire place. A dark foreboding hung over the entire cave, and the closer they got, the stronger it grew.
As they neared, she could see a tall figure cloaked in a midnight black cloak. The closer the got she realized the figure wore a torn black cloak and had the cape pulled over his head and low on his brow. His face was that of a skull and she trembled with fear as the realization hit her.
It was Death, the ruler of the angels of death that collected souls.
As Brad dragged her towards him, fear consumed her as she was thrown at Death's feet.
"Why are you here Brad?" Death demanded in a raspy, hollow voice.
"The debt has been paid. She said she was in love with me and she would do anything for me."
Death turned to her and crouched down in front her. His bony hand reached out from underneath his cloak and his fingers went under her chin and lifted her gaze to his.
"Is this true?" Death rasped.
Her breathing was ragged as she trembled under his gaze. "Well?"
She nodded as fear overwhelmed her.
Death stood back up and faced Brad. "The debt is paid."
Death turned back to her and pain tore through her. Her screams echoed against the stones and rocks. She writhed on the ground in agony. Brad took a step away from her as he watched in horror. Her soul was being ripped from her body and her back arched as her screams could barely escape her lips. Tears cascaded down her cheeks. She could see her white soul leave her body and disappear into the sleeves of Death's cloak.
Pain sliced down her back along each shoulder blade as long, feathery white wings sprang from her back. She felt what could only be blood make a trail down her back.
"I'm so sorry, Ava," Brad began to ramble. "I do love you but not in the way that you think. I'm betrothed as of yesterday and I've been seeing her for awhile but I didn't have the heart to break up with you. Then, Death came and told me I owed him my soul because I made a deal with him 20 years ago but I had fallen in love and was going to be getting married so I couldn't leave. When I confronted Death, he said I had to bring another who said that they loved me and would do anything for me and I was running out of time and today was the last day so I had to ask you. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."
She screamed in agony and he backed away from her, terror in his eyes as he watched her writhe in pain. She looked up through blurry eyes. Her tears dried as the pain eased. Her beautiful face was now pale and her eyes had lost the light that had shown within them. She was now an angel of death. Her face hardened and was marred with a glare. She struggled to her knees and slowly raised herself to a standing position. She met his horrified stare.
"Ava-" Brad began as he looked at her, regret in his eyes.
She cut him off.
"Don't think this is the end," Ava ground out, her heart shattering and hope for a bright future fading away. "I will curse your entire family and every generation after you. They will all die. Every man. They will reach your age but disaster will strike. They will be dragged down to join me and they will suffer as I have and will. Mark my words, but first you will lose everyone you love including your fiancé who you love so much. Who you would sacrifice someone else's life to save your own. But, you only brought disaster upon yourself and your entire family."
He backed away from her even more and began to try and beg for her forgiveness.
"Ava! Please don't do this. I-"
Death stopped him mid sentence.
"Go back to Earth Brad. There's nothing left for you here."
Brad cast one more pleading look at her but she just looked away as more tears threatened to fall.
Once Brad was out of sight, she let the tears fall freely. She didn't flinch when Death's bony fingers wrapped around her wrist and he pulled her into his castle and the gate slammed shut. They walked through long halls but she didn't pay attention.
They were walking up a long flight of stairs and the temperature dropped and she began to shiver. After several minutes, they reached the top and Death opened a large wooden door and dragged her inside. He put manacles connected to long chains around her wrists and ankles. The chains allowed her to roam freely through most of the cell but wouldn't allow her to leave.
Without saying anything, Death walked out, slamming and locking the door behind him. She sat on the window sill next to the only window in the room. It was narrow but with a wide window sill. She wrapped her arms around her knees as she pulled them up to her chest. Her upper arm began to itch and she looked down. She had a light red ink forming the outline of a person with long wings on her arm. She choked on sobs when the realization sank in that she would be stuck there forever. What would her friends and family think? Mascara streamed down her face but she didn't care. Her wings were wrapped protectively around herself as any hope, happiness, or love that she had died. She sat on the window ledge looking out over the vast kingdom, planning her revenge.