Chapter 5

APHRODITE'S VIEW

Derick came to pick me up once it was time and he drove to the restaurant. Simply put, it was very nice. Unfortunately, I couldn't really concentrate, I was still recovering from my nightmare. But I still managed to listen to him talk  about his life. His last name was Williams.He'd graduated from Gotham University at the top of his class, he'd recieved a job at Luminix faster than he'd expected, with a huge pay check. I wouldn't disclose the amount. He was 26. And Batman had saved his life and his family's.

That part grabbed my attention. He described it in complete awe. A fire had engulfed his home, the police department were still chasing Harvey Dent/Two face while the fire department was putting out the fire at two children's hospital, The Joker's work. He had come to his rescue. The house was about to collapse on them and they were choking. He appeared to have walked through the flames, exploded a nearby wall and rushed them all out. 

"How'd he look?" I asked curiously as I twirled my pasta. He look a sip of his wine before continuing.

"Big, sharp pointy ears, creepy eyes, demonic cape. He scared us. I didn't think he was real, you know. He worked fast and efficiently....got us out and spoke through some communicator in his cowl. An ambulance got to us in a minute."

"Wow. That's amazing." I said and smiled. "And really? Demonic cape?" I laughed.

"I swear to you it was, well to me it was. He had spikes on his arms and the cape was all creepy looking, kinda like tree roots." He said then laughed. "I wonder how much all his stuff cost. His armor alone must cost a fortune. He was cool though, but he didn't seem like the kind of guy who'd wait for you to thank him."

We talked about Batman for a few more minutes before he asked about my life.I told him about how life was in Metropolis, Superman, my college and so on. He was equally curious about my life and Superman. Towards the end, the awkward part came. He asked me out. I told him I wasn't interested in a relationship, not even with Bruce Wayne. He wasn't happy about it but he seemed determined to change my mind. I paid for our lunch when he wasn't looking. I intentionally took his credit card off the table while he was speaking. My way of saying thank you. 

I gave it back after he'd been searching for it. He seemed shocked, even upset and embarrassed, that I picked up the tab, but thanked me anyway. We headed back to work, quick and while there, I met four of Derick's friends. Melanie, Keith, Laura and Brad. They were married couples, Laura and Brad, Keith and Melanie. Too many good looking people in one building, it was like it could explode from pure attractiveness.

They were nice and welcoming, except Brad who stared at me a little too much. I was quite uncomfortable with it and Laura was too engrossed with my story to notice. Laura and Brad were both blonde. Melanie was mixed and Keith was full African-american, like Derick. Laura and Melanie asked about my hair and if I dyed it. I told them it was natural, which was true. In other words, I had a pretty decent day at work. I headed home after early and tried to get some rest....

The rest of the week went normal, nothing serious, only one attack occurred. Then Friday arrived. Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred, arrived to pick me up. It was no surprise he knew where I lived. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

BRUCE WAYNE.

Another dead person had turned up. A skull and ashes....like last time. I had been analyzing the remains again, hoping something new might turn up. Nothing did. This case would not go cold on my watch.I had asked Alfred to pick up Aphrodite. I had to clean up and remove the scent of Penguin's explosives. I was ready now and the door opened just in time.