16

I couldn't deny it.

I wouldn't want to.

But I was staring at him.

Alive...

It was like nothing had happened to him.

Except it had. Just days ago.

I watched him now, lurking in the shadows close to the edge of a forest.

I could only wonder for what. Or for who.

He was looking out at a house, as if waiting for someone.

It wasn't until I saw the familiar figure of a girl emerge from within it that I realized who.

"Annabeth."

She heard him.

I could also tell she was trying to hide the fact that he had startled her.

"Luke." Her voice was as cold as her stare. It almost didn't match her body language, as she had slowly backed all the way up against a tree.

He took note of that as he begun to approach her, hands raised as if to show he didn't have any ill intentions.

"Look, I only want to talk. Five minutes?"

"Really?" Annabeth just about snapped back at him. "You betrayed us, Luke. You honestly think I'm going to listen to you?"

He was silent, watching her with eyes that knew she would. "Annabeth..." He finally spoke. His voice was whispered as if it itself begged her.

But I could sense a rising fear behind it, and I knew she did too.

"Kronos is going to use me to rise."

It was her turn to stay quiet, though I saw his words did not faze her. "Yes, I thought that was obvious."

"No, that's not..." His jaw tightened. "I can't stay with him... Not anymore."

My head lifted to him.

What?

"Annabeth, please..." He clung to her hands. "Run away with me. I've got to run away. Far away. And I-I need you with me."

I felt my lip quiver. I didn't know if it was to smile at the glimmer of hope I felt in him or to sob as I stared at the Luke I once knew.

I couldn't have possibly ever imagined him as I saw him now.

He was beyond terrified.

And he was completely and utterly broken.

He had long stopped trying to hide it.

I could see it only hurt Annabeth to see him like this.

And she wanted to give in.

But I also knew that was simply what her heart wanted, and being a daughter of Athena, her head ruled her.

"I-I can't." She broke from him.

He stared at her, his eyes long glossed over. "I don't understand." He finally whispered.

I thought he simply didn't want to accept her answer.

Until I noticed something had changed in him.

He suddenly seemed dazed. Completely lost in desperation.

"Annabeth, we're family."

Her face twisted at his words. He had struck something in her. "Luke, you gave up on family!" She yelled. "You turned your back on me! Do you know how many times you've almost gotten Percy and me killed?!"

His expression turned dark at his mention. "Percy, huh?"

Annabeth didn't seem bothered by it.

But it only worsened it. "You'd forget about me for him, would you?" He glowered.

"In this case, yes. If you think I'll join you and your twisted cause, you can think again." She turned, walking off and leaving him behind in the darkness of the forest.

"I won't let him hurt you." He tried again. "I'll make him promise to protect you."

He didn't name who he was referring to. But it was obvious.

His words didn't do anything though. They weren't even enough to make her glance back at him.

He pressed his forehead into the tree she had leaned against only moments ago.

I heard him shudder as he looked out at the forest.

"Come, boy. It is time."

"Yes, Lord Kronos." He sounded choked up. His voice almost forced.

Then I saw why.

Tears trickled along his cheeks.

He jumped away from the tree as he swiped at his face.

Only more fell.

He drew in a shaky breath as he turned to look once more in the direction Annabeth had disappeared.

Nothing.

She was gone.

I felt all hope shatter as I watched him too, disappear into the darkness.

[ A/N : I owe most of this chapter to @BlackShadowDC who has written a Luke/Annabeth one shot titled "You Promised" If you guys liked this chapter, I recommend you check out the one shot! Everything you read here, is much more detailed in "You Promised" and shows a bit more of Luke & Annabeth's feelings and what was going through them. You might cry, but it just might be worth it! 🙂 ]
p.s. check the comments below, if the link to @BlackShadowDC profile doesn't show up here.