Chapter 8: The Crack in the Fence

Start from the beginning

I forgot how this felt. It was always so much fun - not ideal, but fun - and we got around our small town this way all the time.

Even though his close are tattered from an unknown reason that he wouldn't tell me last night, he still smells good. Just like he always did.

"Don't be getting too attached," he says it like he just read my mind.

I punch his back softly. "Shut up."

As we near my house, I look around Will to see if anyone is there. Of course, standing outside at the end of our short driveway is my dad. He's talking to the mailman like he usually does, probably about hunting or fishing.

Will stops where we are and we step into the yard of my neighbor. They have a tall, wooden privacy fence that divides our properties. I look to Will and I start to panic.

So much so that I don't realize I'm babbling aloud.

"Moms going to catch me and then she'll call my coach and ask where I was last night and where I went, even though coach wouldn't have a clue, mostly because I'M NOT ON THE TEAM-"

Will places both hands on either side of my face and looks into my eyes. For a second I think he's going to kiss me, and I freeze, eyes wide with fear and surprise.

"Calm down, okay? We made a deal to keep each other's secrets, and I'm going keep them that way - secrets." He doesn't look away from me the whole time he talks.

I back away from him, gently pushing his hands away from me. "Just help me get over this fence. Without breaking myself." I add.

He laced his fingers together to form a cup so I can step into it. I don't think twice about it before I step into it and he hoists me up. Now with my head above the fence, I can through the window of our kitchen. And my mom is in there.

"Let me down, let me down!" I squeal as quietly as I can. "She's in the kitchen!"

Will practically drops me to the ground and I fall back onto my butt with a groan. I can tell he's trying not to laugh.

I glare at him. "Oh yeah, hilarious."

Pushing myself up, I move down the fence a little ways and have Will help me up again. I safely land in my backyard where the grass is wet and slippery.

"Are you over?" I hear Will say through a crack in the fence.

"Yeah, I'm over. Are you coming?" I ask before I can stop myself. I mentally face-palm and try not to let on that I felt embarrassed for asking.

I can see his smile through the crack in the fence. "No, I better get home."

"Hey," I call for him before he can get too far away. "You owe me big time. I'm pretty sure we weren't arrested because I was there." I chuckle at my own joke.

Will answers as if I wasn't joking. "You're probably right, actually. How about I drive you to school to make it up to you? You know, to save some gas money?"

I bite my lower lip. What about Hannah? She's got Tyler's car... wait, what am I thinking? I can't ride to school with Will! We'll both be crucified.

"I don't know..." I say. To be honest, I think I missed the adrenaline I got from doing stupid stuff like this.

"Just-" Will starts, but he's abruptly cut off by my father's voice.

"Jessa? What are you doing?" Dad asks as he nears me from the front yard.

"Uh... hey, Dad," is all I can muster. "I was just... doing some yard work. It rained a little this morning, that's why I'm a little wet." I rock back on my heels and hold my hands behind my back.