When he had arrived a few days ago with the hobbits, I had glanced quickly to ensure no grievous injuries were present before leaving him to talk with Elrond and later Arwen. I had often seen them, when we visited, close, in a world of their own, two lovers with nothing but time on their hands in the perfect softness of Rivendell.
Coming back to the present moment, I stepped back and turned to greet Elrond, bowing my head but keeping the hood up. Elrond knew why I liked to keep my gender secret but also knew I would cause discomfort among the others. Raising his hand, the crowd silenced and moved to their seats. Moving back I settled by my father and watched as Elrond greeted the council.
"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor." So that was why we were all summoned. Looking around I saw Gandalf the Grey sitting beside the hobbit that had been stabbed by the Morgul blade. 

Gandalf, feeling my gaze, nodded in greeting to which I returned the gesture. Looking around again I saw dwarves. There was one dwarf with ginger hair and beard that reminded me of one, often told to me in stories, Gloin. He was one of the dwarves in Thorin Oakenshield's company at the time the dragon Smaug still claimed Erebor. Continuing on I saw a Blonde haired elf, his eyes focused on Elrond before flickering to mine and catching me staring. Looking away I scowled, unhappy that I had slipped up, but it wasn't often that I saw an elf of Mirkwood in Rivendell, especially not the prince, Legolas. Looking further past the dwarves I saw the blonde man from earlier and shifted uncomfortably in my seat. He seemed arrogant and his posture made me want to hit him, but I remained where I was and kept an eye on him. Tuning back in when I heard Frodo's name mentioned, I turned to watch as the hobbit placed the ring on the flat surface of a pedestal.
Glancing back at the man when he began to speak I silently cursed, realising he was the dimwit I believed him to be as he raised himself to speak of a dream.
"In a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark. But in the West a pale light lingered. A voice was crying: 'Your doom is near at hand.'" He approached the Ring on the pedestal and reached out a hand. "Isildur's Bane is found."

As he was about to touch it all hell broke loose. Elrond cried out his name and Gandalf recited in the Black Speech. I groaned quietly as Gandalf's words echoed in my brain and my father leaned closer putting a hand on my arm to comfort me. Elrond appeared angered as he turned to Gandalf.

"Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris!"
"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West!" Gandalf answered glaring at Boromir.
"It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor." Boromir said leaning forwards in his seat. I sighed heavily thinking of what idiot invited this twit to a council about the most dangerous thing in middle earth. No one can wield it, especially not a man of Gondor, as I quickly realised who this Boromir was.

Boromir continued, "Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!"
My father must have been thinking the same thing as I as he quickly rebuffed the idea, "You cannot wield it! None of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master."
"And what would a ranger know of this matter?" Was Boromir's answer and I quickly gritted my teeth attempting to stand, but stopped as the prince of Mirkwood rose instead.
"This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." Boromir looked incredulous at this.

"Aragorn? This... is Isildur's heir?" I gritted my teeth, wanting nothing more than to punch his teeth out, but remained seated as my father left his hand on my arm.
"And heir to the throne of Gondor." Legolas continued.
"Havo dad, Legolas." (Sit down, Legolas.) my father said looking at Legolas. Legolas nodded and sat down, glancing quickly at Aragorn's hand in my arm before looking back at Boromir.
"Gondor has no king. Gondor needs no king." Boromir said, returning to his seat. I glanced sideways at Aragorn but could discern none of his emotions. Relaxing slightly I felt him move his hand from my arm, trusting me not to do anything.

"Aragorn is right. We cannot use it." Gandalf said, speaking for the first time since the Black Speech incident.
Elrond looked around at us before he said. "You have only one choice. The Ring must be destroyed."

The dwarf Gimli spoke for the first time rising from his seat and grabbing his axe. "Then what are we waiting for?" Approaching the pedestal he swung the axe attempting to break the ring only to find his axe breaking instead. Once the ringing has quietened Elrond spoke.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Glóin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came." Looking around he continued. "One of you must do this."

There was a pause before Boromir chose the break it. "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland. Riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!" 

That must be the only clever thing to come from his mouth his entire life and I felt the irritation begin to grow again.
"Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond said? The ring must be destroyed!" Legolas cried.
Gimli leapt to his feet, yelling, "And I suppose you think you're the one to do it?!"
Boromir rose as well, shouting. "And if we fail, what then?! What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?!"
Gimli obviously wasn't finished as he continued. "I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!"
I could feel the offence of his words drive in to my chest and I attempted to rise as the council began arguing but Aragorn kept me in my seat. Over the commotion and Gandalf's yelling I heard a tiny voice and turned to see Frodo rising.
"I will take it!" He called. Silence choked the argument. Frodo looked around before repeating, "I will take the Ring to Mordor. Though — I do not know the way."
Gandalf walked towards Frodo and placed his hand reassuringly on his shoulders. "I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear."
Aragorn stood from beside me and walked towards Frodo. "If by my life or death, I can protect you, I will."
He lowered himself and knelt before Frodo before continuing, "You have my sword."
I watch him feeling a sense of dread at him leaving me behind and I knew what I must do, as I was about to rise Legolas walked past me.
"And you have my bow." He said joining them.
Probably not wanting to be outdone by an elf, Gimli walked up as well, waving his axe.
"And my axe!"
Boromir stalked over to them and stared down at Frodo. "You carry the fate of us all little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done."
Finally deciding to rise I walked over to the growing group feeling the eyes of the council upon me. Kneeling down before the hobbit I looked up at him gesturing slowly with my hands.
"You have my companionship and my protection young hobbit." Aragorn translated, getting odd looks from the others. Frodo gazed back at me before smiling slightly a nodding his head in understanding. Standing up I step sideways standing at the edge of the group keeping my face hidden underneath the hood. Feeling a stare I glance up to see Boromir and Legolas attempting to discern my identity before quickly getting distracted by a yell. Looking over I saw another  hobbit come running up.
"Mister Frodo is not goin' anywhere without me!"
Elrond looked amused, answering. "No indeed, it is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not."
From behind a pillar I spotted two other hobbits emerge, running towards the group. "Wait! We are coming too!"
One which I guessed was Merry said, "You'd have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us!"
Next Pippin piped up. "Anyway you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest... thing."
"Well that rules you out Pip." Merry taunted him and I sniggered silently, before stopping to listen to Elrond.
"Ten companions... So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!"

Post Edit Author's note

Turns out... I'm really bad at keeping track of which tense I'm writing in... ooops. Right, anyway, second chapter edited. Again, if you find any mistakes please point them out.