Chapter 6: Planning a Funeral

Start from the beginning

I don't dress up often, but tonight I feel it will be appropriate.

The shirt is comfortable enough to bowl in and I pair it with some jeans. After curling my hair, which doesn't look too bad after watching a YouTube tutorial, I put a little bit of makeup on.

While I'm walking down the stairs to find Dad, my phone buzzes in my hand. A text from Connor reads I'm outside.

Quirking an eyebrow, I peek out one of the windows next to the door and see his red Camaro sitting across the street. The roads are shiny with rain, nothing surprising in Washington.

I quickly text him back, why aren't you coming in?

It doesn't take him long to reply with, it's raining.

My annoyance must be noticeable because Dad walks in and asks me what my problem is.

Ah, Dad, my other best friend. Besides Hannah, Dad often hears about my problems. He doesn't know absolutely everything obviously, such as what happened between Will and me, but the problems that matter are the ones I tell him.

"Oh, nothing," I say through barred teeth as I go through the pile of jackets hanging on the wall. I finally find my coat and put it on. Unable to find an umbrella, I decide I'm going to have to run.

"Where's Connor?" Dad asks as he leans against the pole at the bottom of the stairs.

"He's waiting for me," I tell him. "I'll be back later, Dad. Love you."

I hear an "I love you too" as I take off running across the vacant street, making sure to look both ways.

Connor beeps the horn without realizing I'm right in front of the car and I jump slightly.

When I go to open the passenger side door, it doesn't budge. I bang on the door until he finally reaches over and shoves it open for me.

"Connor!" I scold. I remember that I'm about to go on a date and the last thing I want to be doing is fighting, but it's hard to hide my anger with him.

"Oh, you look great, babe," he says without barely giving me a glance

I look down at my soaked clothes and the mirror on the back of sun visor reflects a crazy-looking girl. My hair is frizzy, sticking up in every different directions. I hastily comb it down with my hand and hope it doesn't look at bad as I think.

"Thanks," I mutter.

"You're welcome," he says mindlessly.

The parking lot at the bowling alley is packed full of people. Beverly is simply a place for older people to retire to, so the businesses don't thrive like they used to.

The bowling alley is the shining star of our little town, especially Friday nights.

Connor meets me at the front of the car and takes my hand in his as we walk in together.

I see that several lanes are being used while only three are left open. In the corner of large room is a birthday party with little boys and girls gathered around a cake. A girl blew out the candles and all the kids clapped, pulling on their parents' shirts to get them a piece of that cake.

Occupying one of the lanes on the far end are several of the guys from school - Connor's friends. I hope he doesn't see them, but when I look up he's already smiling at them.

"Let's get our bowling shoes," I say as we approach the counter. I practically drag him with me to the counter and pull my hand out of his.

I suddenly feel Connor's hand brush against my butt and I jump, looking at him sharply. "What are you doing?"