Trouble is Coming

Entering the living room my eyes landed on my father sitting on the one-seat, a glass of water in front of him while his eyes shifted from the TV to me. It surprised me, taking me off guard when his eyes softened and a smile spread across his tired looking face. Never did I think my father had a weakness until I saw him today. It was disarming, I couldn't step forward and approach the man who lowered his guard.

Nick beside me held tighter onto my hand, giving it an encouraging squeeze. He was letting me know he was right beside me, that I didn't have to face this on my own. It gave me the push I needed to step forward.

"Hey, dad."

He got up, meeting Nick and I halfway as he leaned in and pressed a kiss to my cheek, "Nice to see you, Emily." Pulling back his eyes traveled to my swollen stomach, "That's a surprise."

I glanced aside, meeting my fiancé's eyes, "This is Nick, my fiancé."

My dad shifted his gaze to Nick who held out his hand, "Nice to meet you, sir."

It made me bite back a smile when I noticed my dad eying Nick, analyzing him. He was making sure this guy was right for me and when the skin around his eyes softened I knew he approved. Nick passed the test. But even if he didn't I would still marry this guy. He was right for me, that was all that mattered.

"Nice to meet you, Nick." My dad shook his hand, "Call me John, sir is a bit too formal don't you think?"

"John." Nick corrected himself.

"Take a seat." My dad suggested as he took a seat on his chair as well.

Nick sat closer to dad, knowing that even though I didn't snap at my father anything could still happen. Just with little gestures like that, I knew Nick would always do what was best for me. He rested his hand on my knee while he faced my father, a small smile spread across his face.

"Love the house." Nick's eyes scanned the room.

"A little too big for an old guy like me, but I couldn't sell it." I could see the shift in his eyes, the sadness quickly overpowering the happiness he felt a minute ago, "Memories, you know."

Nick nodded, "Yeah, I get it."

I was keeping quiet while my dad and Nick talked about his business and dad actually looked interested in what Nick was telling him. As I observed him closer I wondered if dad always had been like this, but I just didn't see it? That I didn't try harder to accept the situation and move on. That I should have been a little more understanding because the love of his life left him for some eighteen-year-old.

"You okay, Em?" Nick asked me, snapping me back to reality.

"I'm fine." I told him, flashing him a small smile, "Just thinking."

Max entered the room, "What do you guys want to drink?"

Nick got up, "Coffee, what do you want?" He turned to look at me.

"Water is fine," I told him.

Nick spun around and faced my brother, "I'll walk with you to the kitchen."

Nick was giving my father and I some time to talk things over, I was aware of that. While the boys walked out together, talking about some good coffee places in New York. I shifted my attention back to my dad and awkwardly shifted, trying to get as comfortable as possible.

"You graduated a few months ago?"

"Yes, I did."

"Proud of you, Emily."

If I wasn't confused about my father's sudden change in behavior, I was now. He never expressed his feelings toward me and I wasn't a mind reader. If he wanted me to actually understand him he had to use words. It was the same for Max. Max and I were able to move past our little hurdle so I'd try to handle this situation the same. Dad was sick, I could tell by looking at him. Holding grudges wasn't going to help anyone. I was glad Nick pushed me to do this.