Once we were all ready, clutches in hand, we all slowly made our way down the stairs to where the three guys were waiting for us in the living room. They’d been sitting on the couch discussing sports but when they heard us walking in, they’d stood up immediately to greet us at the stairs.

“You look nice,” Carter said to me when I got to him. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my forehead. “Really nice.”

I stepped back to get a good look at his button up dressy shirt and black dress pants. He somehow looked kind of casual but at the same time, he looked completely dressed up. I didn’t understand it, but I did enjoy it. A lot. “You also look nice,” I replied with a small giggle.

Walking hand in hand with Carter, we followed the four others out of the house where there was a long limo waiting for us in the driveway. I didn’t know that we were getting a limo until last night but I thought that it was a little overboard just for homecoming. That was something that people did for prom, I guess but homecoming wasn’t really limo-worthy to me. I guess I should have been used to the Fishers’ tendency to overdo things by then though.

In the limo, I sat beside Carter and across from Andy, which was awkward because I didn’t want to look at him but I was kind of forced to as the limo driver drove us toward the school.

“You look good, Maddie,” Andy said to me once we were off of the dirt road and onto real paved streets. Looking up at him, he was looking at me with a pleading smile, as if that was his way of trying to make peace yet again.

Thinking about what Sophie said, I just pursed my lips for a moment before saying, “Thanks.”

He looked surprised that I’d spoken to him considering I hadn’t said a word to him since I slapped him and then screamed at him on Saturday. I knew that the silent treatment was a bit immature but I didn’t know what else to do. I didn’t know how I was supposed to act so I just did the best that I could.

“So it would be pretty weird of Sophie and Carter won king and queen,” Will piped, glancing over at me to try and engage me in even more of a conversation.

“I didn’t even know that Carter was up for king,” I muttered, looking at my boyfriend who just sheepishly shrugged.

“I really don’t want to win. I didn’t even want to be nominated,” He explained.

“I would actually rather win with Carter than with one of the other candidates,” Sophie added, offering me an encouraging smile. I was being civil, I was doing well. Gold star for me.

“What makes you think that you’ll win at all?” I asked her teasingly and she jokingly glared at me.

“Of course I’m going to win. I won’t have it any other way,” She informed me. “It’ll be kind of weird since Andy obviously isn’t nominated but I still want to win.”

“Well, you have my vote,” I assured her although I was sure that it was obvious that I would be voting for her. Paige wasn’t even on the ballot so it wasn’t even a competition at all for who I was going to vote for. And even if Carter didn’t want nominated, I’d probably vote for him too just because.

Once we arrived at the hotel that was hosting our homecoming dance, I noticed a lot of people walking into the building giving us weird looks for bringing a limo to homecoming. I knew that it was overboard but I was also sure that overboard was something that ran in the Fishers’ blood or something.

We all filed out of the long black limo but before we started walking toward the hotel, Andy wrapped his arm around my bare elbow, pulling me aside from the rest of the group. “Can we talk for a minute?” He asked me.