Chapter 6

Rhys' POV

Kyle's first high school football game of the season was on tonight. Mom, Ivy and Octavia had already gone to their dance competition so they didn't come. Elise and James were here but they had disappeared with their friends. Dad was coming by later but he couldn't make it to the beginning.

I took a seat nearish to the team's bench. I saw Kyle glance up and look for me in the crowd and smiled when he saw me. I always try in sit in a similar place and he looks for me. Whenever he makes a good or a bad play he'll look at me for my view. I've grown up around football. I know what a good play is.

I looked up to see Sydney sit down beside me. She glanced at my school Varsity hoodie and looked a little confused.

"It's my brother's," I said.

"I didn't think that you would be here. You know with all the people," she said.

"I make sure to sit here because no one else does," I explained.

She nodded and the game started not long later. Our team started with the ball so Kyle was on the field. On the first drive Kyle caught a couple of passes and they ended up with a touchdown. He looked up at me and I smiled at him.

"Are you and Kyle close?" Sydney asked.

I nodded and she was about to say something else when someone said something from my other side.

"Have I missed much?"

I looked over to see Dad sit down beside me.

"Kyle got a couple of catches. They scored a touchdown," I said.

He nodded and we watched the defence on the field. Dad noticed the girl sitting on the other side of me and he introduced himself and she said who she was. I could tell that he had a slight smile on his face but he didn't say anything because Kyle came back out.

Kyle had quite a good game in the team win. As soon as it was finished he jumped up into the stands to come and talk to us.

"What did it look like?" he asked.

He and Dad then started talking about the game and I was half listening to them. Kyle had had quite a few catches but he and Dad were the same in that they always found errors in their game and they would spend hours working on them.

"Did we have to do anything for art on Monday?" Sydney asked.

"No since we finished our group picture," I said.

She nodded and pushed her bag up onto her shoulder.

"I'll see on Monday then," she said and disappeared into the crowd of people.

Kyle got called back into the field go he jumped out of the bleachers to go join his team. It then left just the two of us and we decided to head out in the parking lot and wait for everyone else.

"Sydney seems nice," he said as we headed out.

I shrugged and didn't really give him an answer.

"It's nice that you have a friend and she seems like she is honest but nice," he elaborated.

I nodded and I think that he was about to say something else when Kyle came out. He was talking to a couple of the other players but he stopped talking once he saw up and came and joined us.

"You can go hang out with your friends if you want," Dad said but Kyle shook his head.

"Nah, I get to hang with them other times," he said.

We all walked home together and we started to talk about the things that were going on in our lives. The twins had gone to stay with friends so it was just the three of us tonight. Dad made dinner and we all ate it sitting in front of TV to eat it.

It wasn't often that we got to do things like this but I loved it when we do. We were watching some cheesy romance movie and we spent the whole movie commenting on the movie. Pointing out all the problems and making sarcastic comments.

Kyle was tired from the game so he headed to bed leaving me and Dad again. We cleaned up the dishes before settling back in front of the couch again.

"How are the pictures for the Texans going?" Dad asked.

"They are quite time consuming. I've finished like five," I admitted.

He smiled at my comment and he wanted to see them so we headed into the art room so he could see them. I only had one of them at the moment and it was Christian. Dad wrapped at arm around me and smiled.

"It looks so perfect," he muttered.

I smiled and he glanced around the room at all the paintings I had up on the wall.

"I think that this one is my favourite," he said.

I turned around and saw which one was pointing at. It was a thunderstorm and there was lightning strike and the whole thing was dark.

"You should do a family picture of all of us. Mom would love it," he said.

I nodded even though I'm not a big fan of drawing people but I knew that Mom would love it.

"I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning," Dad said.

I decided that I should go to bed as well because I was starting to feel exhausted. I changed into clothes to sleep in and I crawled into bed.

I woke around two in the morning and I couldn't sleep. This wasn't something particularly new to me. Sometimes I would just wake for no real reason and I wouldn't be able to sleep again. The only reason that I think of to cause it would be I had been having a nightmare and I can't remember it.

I decided that there was no point lying here for hours so I got up and headed down into the art room. I had to be quiet so that I didn't wake anyone else. I grabbed a new canvas and I started to paint something that matched my dark mood.

It was more abstract and the brush strokes were rough. There were a lot of dark blues and black with small bits of yellow. Painting helped clear my mind and I could forget about my lack of sleep. It was a distraction.

I finished painting and I sat down on one of the chairs in the room. There were times that I wish that I had someone to talk to that wasn't my family because sometimes I want someone else to talk to. I don't think that anyone would appreciate being woken at two in the morning.

I rinsed the brushes before heading back upstairs. After painting for a while I was more relaxed and when I crawled into bed I was able to fall asleep.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One