nine

009 | ❝Everything's going to be alright.

🐬🐬🐬

🐬🐬🐬

After dinner Delphine left early to her room. It was the usual that Miss Peregrine would let the children watch a 'movie' a.k.a Horace's dream. Only, Delphine was afraid to watch another one of his dreams.

In her room, Delphine sat in front of her vanity brushing her hair as she hummed along to a lullaby her grandmother would sing to her. Humming the lullaby brought peace to Delphine, it reminded her of her grandmother and though Delphine was still sad about her grandmothers passing there was a part of Delphine that felt as if her grandmother was still there protecting her and watching over her.

Once Delphine was done brushing her hair she walked over to her bed and laid under the blanket turning off her lamp. She couldn't sleep for a while, all she could think of was how the day had played out. She thought of the boat she and Emma had visited, how it was such a great little hide out. It wasn't long before Delphine fell asleep, her chest slowly rising and falling with each breath as she curled into her dolphin.

I was drowning, I couldn't breath! Why was nobody helping? I tried to reach my arm out for somebody to help but nobody would come to my rescue. No, instead of a helping hand I felt a hand pressing me down, further into the water and I wondered why I wasn't growing a tail, why I couldn't breathe under the water.

"Everything's going to be alright." A woman's voice said to me, I knew then it was a woman holding me down. I tried to push her hand away from me but I couldn't, she was too strong for me and I kicked and kicked trying to breathe and cough.

"Get out! Out!" Another woman called out, this voice was familiar to me, but was dark. The hand had stopped holding me down and suddenly I felt fine. It was as if the water that had been drowning me just seconds ago had been no harm to me. It was dark and I couldn't see nothing, just a small bright light that slowly floated towards me. There was somebody in the light.

Delphines eyes quickly opened and she was met with the darkness of her bedroom. It was hot and she was sweating all over. Letting out a sigh Delphine grabbed a pony tail and tide her hair back before falling back into the bed. What was that dream about? Could that happen to me? even if I was a mermaid? Delphine wondered. Letting out another shaky breath Delphine pulled her dolphin closer to her before closing her eyes to try to go back to sleep.

🐬🐬🐬

In the morning, when Delphine walked into the dinning room to eat breakfast everybody had noticed that the girl did not get much sleep. Her eyes were halfway closed, and her feet where dragging across the floor. She was still dressed in her pajamas as she took a seat beside Emma and laid her head on the table. Everybody watched as the girl let out a yawn and closed her eyes. "Delphine?" Emma called the girl nudging her shoulder some as she looked to the entrance of the dinning room hoping Miss Peregrine would not walk in.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Emma asked the girl looking at her tired form, her eyes drifting to the entrance every once in a while. Delphine nodded her head while it was still on the table and placed her hand over her mouth as she let out another yawn. It had been a complete lie, she had gotten no sleep what-so-ever.

During the entire night Delphine would wake up after only minutes of sleep. Every time she would close her eyes to go back to sleep she would have a peaceful dream, but right when she was calm the terrible dream of herself drowning would come back causing her to wake up again.

"Are you sure?" Abraham asked and Delphine nodded her head again. She didn't want to tell her friends about this dream, she didn't want them worrying about her. Slowly Delphines eyes began to close again and this time she drifted to sleep.

"Delphine, Delphine." She could hear her name being called but she couldn't bring herself to pay any attention to the voices. She was so tired, she wanted to sleep.

"Five more minutes grandma." Delphine said in a tired voice.

"Delphine!" Another voice called out much in a louder voice causing the girl to jump in her seat. Her eyes shot open and there, right in front of the girl stood Miss Peregrine with her hands on her hips. "Polite people do not sleep on the dinner table." she said in a strict voice that made Delphine frown. She looked around and noticed that everyone else was looking at her worriedly.

Even Enoch looked to be worried about the girl, but maybe it was just her tired mind that made it seem that way. "Did you get any sleep last night?" Miss Peregrine asked the girl taking a seat at the foot of the table. Delphine was going to nod her head but she couldn't lie to Miss Peregrine, so instead she shook her head.

"Why is that?" Miss Peregrine asked, Delphine didn't want to answer with everyone surrounding them listening to all her words. Miss Peregrine seemed to notice this and instead nodded her head the girl, "Why don't you go and try to get some rest." she then said. Delphine was grateful for this and slowly stood up. She knew that Miss Peregrine would want to talk to her in privet later on but until then she was going to try to get some sleep.