Chapter 1 - Family Reunion

|Levi|

The female Titan had attacked us. All of my Elite squad gone. Could it get much worse than this? Of course it will. It always does. We live in a world full of shit with more shit raining down on us constantly.

I groan, clutching my leg. I think I've sprained my ankle. What am I saying - it's probably broken. Feels like it is. But there's nothing much I can do about it. I'm just glad we're inside the walls. Even if so many people look at us as we pass with hate and disgust in their eyes. I'm glad to be back.

I just hope Petra's father doesn't...

Why did we stop?

I deviate from my train of thought, looking to the front of the group of scouts, were the front horses have stopped.

There's a figure there.

Standing right before the horses, wearing a large, coat that looks like the Scouts green one, yet it's fully black. The hood is over their head, concealing their face, also a cloth across their mouth and nose. The only thing you can barely see is their eye.

And it's a glowing red.

The front Scouts dismount from their horses, scowling and asking the figure to move. But he they keep their feet planted on the floor, head titled slightly down, eyes on the Scouts.

Something's not right.

No - this is wrong.

"WAIT!" I call out.

But in a split second, the figure reveals a blade from his Omni-gear,  and he strikes forward with a wide swing of his arm, cutting across the scouts necks.

Blood sprays into the air, lathering the ground and the figure. And it stains - it doesn't evaporate like titans blood.

The civilians scream. They scatter.

Three more Scouts rush forward with their own swords, as the rest of the scouts start to panic. But the figure easily side steps their attacks and guts them open with one sweep of the blade. He moves smoothly, gracefully, yet quickly with much strength. More face him - more die. He's getting closer to the middle of the large line of scouts. Towards Eren at the back.

"Oh shit" I mutter as the gravity of the situation becomes clear.

"Levi, no" Irwin says as I am about to get off my horse. He's beside me, looking even more pissed than usual with those eyebrows of his. "Let me handle this--"

"People are dying" I say - and that's all I have to say.

Groaning as my angle screams in protest, I slide my blades out from their holders, stalking towards the figure.

The horses scream and run off as the figure slaps their back, clearing the space around him. I roll my shoulders, looking at him with hardened eyes as we stand only a few metres away from each other.

They're shorter than me. Just.

"You won't get Eren" I say simply, but there's a sharpness to my words.

His grip tightens on his blades, his shoulders shaking. One eye is visible, the other covered with pale hair. And they stare up at me with such rage and hate, I can almost feel it coming off of them in thick waves.

Why--

He strikes forward, and I jump back just as the tip of the blade slices through my shirt, through the first few layers of skin. Thin drips of blood start to surface, and I grit my teeth.

He's fast.

But I'm faster.

He strikes again, and I block easily, pushing his blades back, spinning and swiping at him with my blades.