Chapter 4 ~ [ Human Inside ]

* Thursday, 12:00am, Japan, Shibuya, ~~, inside the Black Demon Hall *
(Y/n)'s heart sank as she slowly turned to Guren, eyes wide and mouth open. She couldn't believe this man! He had just asked Yuu and Kimizuki to kill their friend, possessed or not. That was just sick from whichever way you saw it.

"Yoichi!" Yuu gasped, expression hardening in shock.

Yoichi—or whatever demon was possessing Yoichi's body, better said—cackled madly from the ceiling. He twitched, black demon bow in hand, and grinned a twisted smile down at the group. Even from a distance, the difference in his eyes, now demonic and slitted like a vampire's, was perfectly visible. Silently, he counted the humans under his breath, "One, two, three, four, five humans." He pulled at the bow's cord and five flaming black arrows manifested from thin air. "Dangerous humans... I must kill them."

Everyone reacted differently at that.

Yuu was concerned and utterly shocked. Kimizuki looked more surprised than anything. Shinoa was hesitant for some reason, her eyes switching repeatedly around the room from person to person. Guren was plainly unamused and unbothered. Poor Second Lieutenant Sayuri was honest-to-god scared of what was happening.

(Y/n), however, was confused.

There were six people in the room, but the demon possessing Yoichi had counted five humans only. She knew for sure everyone other than her was a human.

Had the demon counted wrong? No, it was easy enough to count them all from where he was in the high beams. Demons didn't just make mistakes as foolish as counting one less human in a closed off room.

Then it could only mean one thing.

"Watch out!" Kimizuki barked, pulling the girl from her thoughts.

The demon shot the arrows. They zoomed through the air like lighting bolts, each perfectly aimed at its target. Once they connected to anything solid, they exploded into black smoke.

Everyone dodged quick enough, but (y/n) didn't even move from her place. She looked up at Yoichi with furrowed brows, time suddenly slow as he pulled his bow's cord again and more arrows materialized in it. There had been no arrow directed at her, so now she was rooted to the ground, looking on as a fight broke out around her but not with her in it.

The demon shot again, jumping from beam to beam as it aimed and shot repeatedly.

Again, there was no regard whatsoever for (y/n). It was as if she was not even in the room, like she was a ghost.

"Cut the crap!" Yuu yelled, breaking through the girl's thoughts. He was snarling at Guren, his new katana still sheathed as he refused to use it. "I'm not going to kill one of my friends!"

Guren scowled. "Don't argue with me! Where do you think you are? This is the Moon Demon Squad, we have no choice but to fight!" His eyes darkened amid his scolding, and he argued, "Or have you come here only for your petty revenge?"

That caught Yuu by surprise. His expression tightened and realization crossed his stubborn features.

"If your want to die," Guren continued sternly, "suit yourself, I won't stop you. But Yoichi won't come back—so if you're a real soldier, go and carry out your duty!"

"Damn! Damn it!" Gripping his katana's hilt, Yuu drew his weapon. Power instantly began to flow from it, surprising him with the raw strength of it. It was his first time using a real demon weapon, and it was not a disappointment at all.

The air in the room changed as Yuu joined Kimizuki in a fighting stance, both staring up at possessed Yoichi. They shared a look and nodded, then charged toward the demon, weapons at the ready. They met the demon head on, finding that the fight was in fact easier to win than they thought while they worked together.