27- You Didn't Know

Start from the beginning

“Sorry to interrupt,” He said. “But we’re going out to dinner so you have to get dressed and meet us downstairs in ten minutes.”

“Why are we going out to dinner?” Carter wondered as I saved my work and then shut my laptop to climb off of Carter’s bed- our moment was sufficiently ruined.

“You aren’t,” Andy told his brother. “Just Maddie.”

“What’s going on?” I asked curiously because it seemed fishy that I was going to a dinner that Carter wasn’t invited to. Something was up.

“Nothing, you may not ask questions,” He said. “Just go get dressed.”

He disappeared out the door and I turned to Carter who just shrugged. I shrugged back, kissed him goodbye, and then I left the room to go get dressed because although I knew that something was up, I was curious to see what that something was.

“I’ll let you know,” I assured my boyfriend before disappearing into my room.

I met Andy, Tommy, and Will downstairs and then they were just acting like everything was normal as we all drove to the restaurant.

“So, why wasn’t Carter invited?” I asked them and then they all looked at each other, as if trying to will one of the others to think of something to say. “What is going on?”

“Nothing,” Will laughed as if my question was just absolutely ridiculous. “We just need to talk to you about Carter. We can’t exactly talk to you about Carter with Carter right here with us, now would we?”

“Why do you want to talk about Carter?” I wondered with raised eyebrows. Tommy, who was driving, parked the car in front of the restaurant and we all got out, going into the building and then getting sat at a round six-person table. “And why are we at such a big table when there’s only four of us?”

“Why are you asking so many questions?” Andy asked me.

“Because something is up,” I said with a pointed look.

“Nothing is up, really,” Tommy assured me, which put at ease a little more because Tommy was always the level headed one, so I didn’t think that he’d lie to me about anything.

“So, like I said, we have to talk about Carter,” Andy reminded me. “Because you two seem to be getting really close.”

“Yeah,” I agreed with a nod. “What is there to talk about though?”

“It’s just that we want to make sure that you’re not going to hurt him, and that he’s not going to hurt you,” Will said to me. “Because we’re not sure how permanent your stay here is and when your mom comes back, you’re probably going back to Indiana, right?”

“Sure, I guess so, but she’s going to be gone for a while. Like, at least until the summer,” I said to them, not telling them about the fight that she’d had with Gerard and if that fight led to a breakup, she’d probably come up way earlier than planned. “So we have time.”

“Right, but Carter doesn’t date a lot,” Andy added.

I gave him a strange look, not seeing the relevance to that. “He dated Rikki right before I got here.”

“Yeah, and look at how that turned out,” Will piped. The waiter came to the table and we ordered our drinks before he left again.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Are you saying that you think that I’m going to cheat on him?”

“No,” He sighed. “I’m just saying that you guys should just be careful. We care about both of you- Carter because we have to and you because you’re pretty cool.”