"Yeah, at least that's how it is for my house. You joining the team again, Zabini?"

"Of course I am, how about you Flynn?" Zabini questioned.

"Oh, I don't — "

"You said this year would be different, why not try out for the team?"

"Flying's not exactly my thing," she tried to stray away from the conversation and leave the quidditch talk to the quidditch players. Using her wand, she made a stack of pancakes levitate to her plate, spells without speaking was easy to her.

"Suit yourself," Zabini sighed. "If you do change your mind though, you've got two great players as your friends. One better than the other but," Zabini playfully boasted.

"Aw thanks Zabini," Cedric stole his compliment, making Blaise frown. "But you shouldn't belittle yourself, you really are good."

Cedric excused himself before scurrying off to his table.

"Little, Zabini," a new voice joined. And Flynn's smile she'd obtained from the pancakes had vanished.

"Malfoy," she cleared her throat.

"Hey Malfoy," Zabini chimed, starting a conversation with him to save Flynn from an awkward silence.

"Are you playing quidditch this year?"

"Of course I'm playing quidditch," Malfoy answered. Or more snapped, but then again, that's how he answered.

*

first year; 23 September

After a few weeks, Flynneus wanted to be bold. She'd been practicing quidditch on her own for the past few weeks. Madam Hooch had taught flying, and Flynneus had absolutely no problem. Flying came naturally to her and she was already flying better than fourth and fifth years within a few days (she'd sneak out after hours to fly too). It was actually Madam Hooch's idea for her to practice quidditch; she'd seen how quick Flynn's reflexes were.

"Fancy seeing you here." Flynn turned on her heel, her eyes meeting a yellow uniform. Cedric.

"Hey Ced," Flynneus weakly smiled. Things with Cedric seemed to be different lately. She could tell it was because of the house she was sorted into, she thought he would've surely gotten over it by now.

"What are you doing out here? I didn't know you played at all."

"I don't."

Silence grew amongst the two. Awkward was eating them alive, it was so uncomfortable. But of course, Cedric cleared his throat.

"Here, I'll teach you how to play, yeah?" he pulled his broom and hovered from the ground a bit, Flynn following behind. Cedric flew toward the goal posts, pointing at them. "The object of the game is to toss the quaffle in here. Each team has their own side to protect, while they have other players playing to score points on the opponents." flying back down, he unbuckled a chest that had been sitting in the grass. "Each team has seven players. One keeper, two beaters, two chasers, and a seeker. These balls are all different; for instance, this is the quaffle. Typically, you'd throw or kick it into the goal posts I was showing you earlier. They score you ten points. Throughout the game, they have three of these bad boys. These are bludgers, they are used by the beaters of each teams as a set back. If you're hit with one of these, you must drop whatever ball you have, return to your own side, and touch a goal post before returning to play."

Flynneus nodded her head. She hoped she didn't confuse either of the two.

"And what's this little guy for?" she didn't mean to, but curiosity had gotten the best of her. She'd reached for the golden snitch. It reacted to her touch instantly, sprouting thin wings.

"Flynn, don't!" and off it was. The snitch had began to fly. It seemed to be taunting her, flying back and forth near her because it so desperately wanted her to chase it.

Out of reflex, she hopped onto her broom and chased after the snitch. But this was a fast little booger. All of her attention was averted onto the snitch, zipping past students and buildings. She reached out to it, the tip of her finger barely grazing the sphere. With her eyes shut, she felt herself lose gravity and she was no longer flying. The golden snitch was tightly in her grasp and to her surprise, it didn't just fly away again. Before Flynn had time to realize that she was falling, she'd seen a large patch of green. The field grounds were getting larger....or she was getting closer.

"Immobulus!"

And that was the last time Flynneus had gotten on a broom.

lowkey hated this entire thing but oh well