Chapter Seven

"Accept the children the way we accept trees-with gratitude, because they are a blessing-but do not have expectations or desires. You don't expect trees to change you love them as they are" (Isabel Allende).

*Rossi's P.O.V*

We are sitting at the round table at our office in Quantico. We figured out that the unsub has made it back here so we decided to meet back here. We believe that he is going to attack the hospital where his wife died. We were about to call the hospital to warn them to about the attack when Garcia burst in.

"Garcia slow down, what happened?" Hotch tried.

"I don't know Sir. I went to go get some coffee and I missed a video call from Avie I tried to call her back but she wasn't answering. I tried her cell and everything. A girl named Maddy answered the home phone and she said that her father was taking her out to dinner. She even turned her location services on. She never does that. They were heading out of town and I... I..."

"Guys, what if the unsub wasn't working his way back to Quantico to attack the hospital but Avie. She was adopted when she was only a few days old, by the time her mother passed away she probably would have taken to some of her mother's habits and mannerisms. The memory of his wife gets to overpowering and he snaps. He has to get rid of every trace of her memory because his grief is unbearable." Reid comments.

"Garcia where are they heading?" Hotch asked turning to the blonde.

"I will send you the address."

"Good. J.J and Prentiss, I want you to go to Avie's house. The rest of you we will go find Avie." Hotch pulled out his phone to call back up.

I left to go find Garcia. Knowing her, she would have checked up on Avie. Maybe she would know something. "Hey Garcia..." I stopped and looked up at her screen. On it was a certificate labelling the parents and grandparents of Avie. My name is listed as the grandfather.

"Rossi, you weren't supposed to see that." Garcia looked up at me.

"This doesn't make any sense to me, I don't have a daughter. I never had any children. There must be some mistake. Or something." Carolyn never told me about any children. But when she was in my arms right before her life was lost she started to say something. I always thought that she was trying to say 'I love you'. Maybe it was 'I had your daughter'.

"I wanted to tell you but I couldn't. It wasn't my place to say anything. Avie tried to tell you but she got scared and when you didn't recognized her mother's name her emotions got worse. Please don't be upset with her..." Tears started to come to her eyes. An unnerving tone washed over her voice.

"Garcia. I'm not mad. Not at you, not at her. I am just trying to understand." Realization shot through me. "Oh my gosh, I have to go."

I ran through the doors and hopped into the truck. The ride there couldn't end fast enough. My fingers keep twitching and my leg keeps shaking. "Are you alright?" Hotch asked looking up into the mirror.

"I...I... I don't understand." I answered.

"Don't understand what?"

"She can't be..." I managed to get out. This is all too shocking to me.

Before Hotch could say anything the car came to a stop. I walked around and was about to make my way towards the building but Hotch grabbed my arm. "I want you to stay behind. Let the others take care of it. Something is up and you are not going in."

The back-up drove up and they all started to pile out. 'I can't let her be in there and not have me with her'. "Hotch you have to let me go in there." I was about to run but Hotch wrapped his arm around me to stop me from going. I turned around and slammed my fists onto the vehicle.