Chapter Six

"It is a wise father that knows his own child" (William Shakespeare).

*Avie's P.O.V*

I sauntered up the front porch. It has been a long day. This consisted of ranting on about how angry I was, am, at my father, complaining about how I wish I could have the courage to tell Rossi about our relation to one another, and then talking about a friend of mine who recently moved just a few houses down from me. I don't plan on doing much tonight. I am hoping for a lazy night.

"Avie!" Alex and Luke screamed in unison as I walked through the door.

"We missed you." Luke said.

"I missed you little munchkins too."

"Wook, Daddy's home!" Alex pointed to the couch.

'That's why I didn't see Maddy.' "Hey there princess." Dad came and kissed me on the head. "Do you have any plans tonight?" I shook my head. "Great! I wanted to go for dinner. Just me and you."

"Umm... Sure. Yeah, I would like that."

"Well, I told Maddy to be her around seven. That gives you about an hour to get ready. Dress up nice. I would like to spoil my little girl." He bent his back to get lower towards the boys and placed his hand on their backs. "Come on now, let's go play in the back yard." They squealed and ran outside.

I strolled up the stairs and had a quick shower. After I got dressed into my flowy and shorts. I have this thing that wraps around your thigh and I am able to hide a knife. Who knows when I will need it? I grabbed my blow-dryer. I left it slightly damp and quickly set up a video chat with Garcia. She didn't answer.

Maddy is sitting on the couch with Alex and Luke on her lap. "Hey Mads."

"Hey. How is everything?"

"Oh, good good. How bout you?"

Before she could answer, Dad walked in. "You ready to go?"

"Yeah. See you. Be good boys!"

"We will twy!" Luke answered back before I shut the door.

"So, I have been meaning to do this with you for a very long time. So long that it seems to have been eating me alive." Dad spoke as if he is trying to hold back anger.

We passed the city limits sign and kept going. Fear is rising up and coursing through my entire body. He makes a left turn onto a dirt road. The car is jerking up, down, right, left, with every bump and rock we drive over. My hands start to shake as I quickly place my phone in my shirt. I know that he knows that I have an app that locates my phone if I lose it. He will most likely try and take it away from me. "I know you have been talking with the FBI. I also found the map in your closet. You figured this out a long time ago haven't you? Why couldn't you just have kept your mouth shut?" He slammed his hands on the steering wheel. "That is what makes you so much like her. They say you should save the best for last, and sweetheart I have."

The car jerked forward as he applied quick pressure to the brakes. He jogged around to the passenger door and whipped it open. I stumbled out and he gripped my arm tightly. He dragged me to the abandoned warehouse that shut down and forced my dad to find a new job. We went down a long hall before entering a room. Inside are a rusty, old metal chair and some rope sprawled in the middle of the space.

A tear slipped down my cheek. This is not how I planned on dying. I keep sending prayers up asking that Garcia will figure out what is happened. Or what has happened. 'Please don't let it get that far.'

My father flung me into the chair so hard I stumbled and fell onto the floor. "Get up you worthless piece of garbage."

I fumbled back up and sat in the chair. He went around and tied my hands together and my feet to the legs of the chair. "Why are you doing this?" I managed to get out quietly.

"Why? Why?" He shouted. "Well, your mother. Wait, you will never be our child. You were left all alone because of some whore wasn't being careful enough. But as I was saying..."

What he said stung. Every word that poured out of his mouth stabbed my heart. I may have been put up for adoption doesn't mean my mother was a 'whore'. She didn't know what to do. She was young and scared and died.

"She was not a whore!" I yelled then spit in his face.

He slapped me hard. I can feel my cheek redden and throb. "You son of a..." He took a deep breath. "As I was saying, you are too much like her. Because of you, I still have to see her. You have taken her characteristics and placed them inside of you. And because of you I am reminded of her and the fact that she died." He leaned forward and pulled my hair back. "Now it if time for you to suffer. Like she did as she got sick and just like how I have watching you." He placed his head right in front of mine. His breath against my face is making the hairs on my neck shoot straight up. 'This must have been what the others felt.'

"I will be back." He got up and left.

My head is throbbing from being tugged at. While Jerry, I don't even have to guts to call him dad, was ranting I was able to work my hands loose. I wriggled free and untied my feet. I hear a door open and shut. The fear that was already inside me already increased. 'I hope that it isn't Jerry'. I heard Morgan whisper something and I relaxed. 'They found me'. I ran out the door and they all stopped. "You guys found me!" I yell whispered. "I don't know where he is. He left to go get something."

Just as I was about to follow Reid and Morgan back towards the exit doors Jerry appeared and wrapped his arm around my neck and the other on my head. "You shoot you hit her. She moves or you move and I snap her neck." My body goes into defensive move and my hands shot up and gripped his arm.

"Okay calm down. You don't need to do this. We understand that she is so much like your wife. But that doesn't mean you have to hurt Avie." Reid tried to reason.

I loosened my grip slightly on his arm. With my right hand I lowered my hand and slipped my fingers up the leg of the shorts and got a hold of the knife. With one swift movement I took it and stabbed his leg. He released me and I ran into Reid's arms and he guided me out of the building.

The fresh air feels refreshing as it enters my lungs. As we were crossing the grass field, I took off my flats to feel the green blades between my toes. Blue and red lights are filling the night sky. The full moon shines brightly and the stars twinkle.

I looked up and saw relief wash over Rossi's face. Hotch let go of his arm and he ran towards me. Prentiss left my side to talk to Hotch. Rossi flung his arms around me. "That's what you were trying to tell me." I can tell he is struggling with his words.

I let the tension in my muscles die down and wrapped my arms around him. I nodded, "Yeah, but do you really not know who Madeline was?"

"No."

We pulled away slightly. "She was Carolyn's daughter."

"She-She had a daughter? We-We only had a son but he died. I don't understand."

"What? I know you were divorced but I thought she would have told you."

"I think she did. Right before she passed away she tried to tell me something but she couldn't get the words out. She was too weak."

"I bet she was a wonderful person.

"She was. She really, really was."

"Can I ask you something?" I looked up at him.

"How did you find out about everything?"

"Well..."

"It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father" (Pope John XXlll).