Chapter 10

I sigh, leaning on the countertop

I sigh, leaning on the countertop. Amanda, one of the girls I work with, stares at me with a perplexed expression. I hope she decides to just ignore me, but instead she turns to me and asks, "What's wrong? Tired already?"

"I'm perfectly fine," I mumble, typing. She, thankfully, returns back to what she was doing before.

"You should get off your phone," she advises, as if she knows what's best.

She probably does, considering she's been working here longer.

"But, there are no customers," I point out, motioning towards the door. She sighs heavily in agreement.

"Doing anything this summer?" she asks, attempting to start a conversation.

"Who's that? Your brother? Is he single?"

"Oh, God," I mutter, realizing Amanda's peering over my shoulder. "What do you want?" The frustration and anger was clear in my voice.

"Who are you texting?"

"Why are you looking?" I question, moving slightly away from her. She raises her eyebrows, waiting for an answer. "My boyfriend."

"Really?" Her surprised expression doesn't go by unnoticed.

"Why is it so surprising?" I question and this moment, the door to the ice cream shop opens and a customer walks in.

"You guys were fighting and the name you have saved for him is Asshole, so I assumed he's someone you hate, like your brother...because you know, siblings fight," she explains, as the customer walks up to us.

"Two scoops of chocolate, please," he orders. I go back on my phone, assuming Amanda's going to take the order but she just heads back into the storage room. I sigh, grabbing a cone and scooping some chocolate ice cream on it.

"Here ya go," I say to the man in front of me. He smiles and takes it, handing me a five.

"Keep the change," he tells me before leaving. I smile at him as he walks through the open doors. I watch lots of people strolling the mall and heading into different clothing stores. I notice a familiar brunette walking with a bag in her hand. She catches me looking and immediately starts walking over. Once she enters the shop, she screams my name in excitement.