Circumstances

Steve fought against sheets and against Bucky. "I'm fine, Buck, I promise."

"You're running a fever, you look terrible. If you're not sick, I don't know what sick is." Bucky moved his hand to double check Steve's growing fever.

Steve huffed and shook his head. His cheeks were tinted pink from the fever, his eyes were puffy and red. Bucky's hand was cool on Steve's head, providing a small relief from the heat.

"Whatever, jerk. Can I at least have my arms free so I can grab stuff?" Steve asked.

"Fine, but you're not aloud to get up. Got it?" Bucky stood up.

Rolling his eyes, Steve agreed. "I promise."

"Good. I'm gonna go get you a cold cloth. Need anything?" Bucky asked.

"My sketchbook, perhaps."

"Be right back." Bucky left the room, making his way to the kitchen.

He found a washcloth and ran it under cold water. Bucky smiled to himself, he rather enjoyed taking care of Steve. He felt like it was the one thing he could enjoy in dark times like these. It was sort of a get away. He rung out the cloth and made his way back to Steve's room, picking up the sketchbook on the way back.

"This it?" Bucky held up the sketchbook.

Steve nodded, reaching his hand out for it. He smiled softly for a second before turning his head to the side and bursting into a coughing fit. His whole body shook, which worried Bucky, but he kept his distance. After a few moments, Steve stopped and Bucky gave him his sketchbook.

"Jesus, Steve. You alright?" Bucky set the cloth on the back of Steve's neck.

"I'm fine!" Steve defended.

"I'm picking up medicine for you tomorrow." Bucky stepped back and leaned against the wall.

Steve darted his head to look at Bucky. "Can you even afford that?"

"Don't worry about it." Bucky said it in a a quiet, forceful tone.

"Well, I'm gonna worry about it anyway." Steve frowned and crossed his arms.

"Well don't. It's important, I can afford it."

Steve huffed and opened his sketchbook. He started to draw Bucky not-so-subtly in the way he stood against the wall. Bucky stayed still for the most part, he knew how much Steve hated it when he moved. Bucky couldn't help but let his mind wander. He thought about Steve, what the future might hold for them. He knew that what he wanted for the two of them was impossible, but he could dream. He thought about what it would be like to call Steve his.

Looking over, Steve knew Bucky was out of it. He smiled to himself, he always enjoyed Bucky like this. He was in such a calm state, it was breathe taking. He would never admit that he pined for his best friend, and absolutely never admit that he was head over heels for him. Steve chewed on he inside of his cheek and let his eyes wander up and down Bucky's tall figure, barely able to focus on his drawing at this point.

Bucky felt Steve's eyes on him and looked to the small figure. Steve looked to his drawing embarrassed. Bucky bit his lip, looking Steve up and down. He wanted to start a conversation, but had no clue what to say.

"Hey Steve?" Bucky asked, almost immediately regretting saying anything.

"Yeah?" Steve replied, adding a few lines to his drawing.

"Do you ever... wonder what things would be like if we had been born into different circumstances?" Bucky stared at a spot on the ground, refusing to take his eyes off it.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Steve looked up curiously.

"Like, if we had been born rich, or if we were born in a different time, or if... one of us had been born a girl..."

Steve smiled softly and looked back to his sketchbook. "Yeah..."

"Really?" Bucky finally looked to Steve from the place on the floor. "I just thought it was weird because I thought about it for us."

"I don't think its weird, I do it to." Steve admitted.

Bucky shifted before going and sitting next to Steve. "I'm glad I'm not the only one." A hint of doubt filled his voice like he wanted to say more.

"What is it, Buck?" Steve recognized that tone of voice.

"It's nothing." Bucky lied.

"Bucky..." Steve warned.

"It's just." Bucky sighed and looked to the ceiling. "I'm into guys, is all."

Steve smiled and breathed a small sigh of relief. "You have... no idea how happy that makes me."

Bucky's eyes darted to Steve. He smirked, hiding his shaking breathe. "There's this one guy who I'm really into..."

"Oh really? What's he like?" Steve smiled wide.

"He's blonde, he thinks he's tougher than he really is. He's also really small and he can be a real pain in the ass sometimes." Bucky watched Steve, carefully gauging his reactions.

"Sounds like a little shit." Steve chuckled.

"Oh, he is. But he's also cute and I guess I'm kinda stuck with him now." Bucky smiled.

Steve carefully took Bucky's hand. "I like a boy too."

"Oh really? Tell me about him."

Steve bit his lip and leaned forward quickly, kissing Bucky. Bucky took a second to kiss back, moving his hand up to Steve's face. Bucky smiled for a moment before pulling away.

"Does that tell you anything about him?" Steve asked.

"You're gonna get me sick." Bucky teased, pulling Steve into his arms.

"I love you." Steve looked up to him.

"I love you too, till the end of the line." Bucky smiled and kissed Steve's forehead. He laid back onto the bed and the two of them soon fell asleep in each others arms.