If Maryanne Could Find Her Password

Once upon a time there lived a shy, young girl in England. Other children did not want anything to do with this girl because she was so peculiar. Her name was Maryanne Janes.

     Maryanne lived in a small flat with her mother who worked three different jobs. She had seen things in her life most little girls should not see. Her worst memory still haunted her. It was the day her father left. She was six years old.

     Her father's name was George Brutington. He was a cruel man with a greedy, selfish mind. On that particular day, Maryanne had come home from school late after her teacher, Mrs. Norman, had held her back for detention. The sight she met at home was worse than Mrs. Norman's insistent lectures on how she mustn't lie - even though she had only been telling the truth.

     Her father stood in front of her mother with his hand curled around his cane. "YOU HEAR ME WOMAN?!" he shouted, spitting at her.

     Her mother did not flinch.

     "I DON'T CARE IF THAT TYKE IS BEING SCOLDED! IF SHE ISN'T LISTENING TO HER TEACHERS THEN SHE NEEDS IT! THAT SCHOOL IS GOOD ENOUGH AND I DON'T WANT YOU SPENDING MY MONEY TO SEND HER TO ANY OTHER SCHOOL! NOW, YOU BETTER GO TO SAINT ANGELES ACADEMY AND BEG FOR MY MONEY BACK THIS INSTANT!" he yelled, his ugly face turning purple as his voice raised.

     "But George dear, please-" her mother reached out to her husband.

     "That's the last straw, Annette! I want all my money and all my gold and I'm leaving!" he said, walking purposefully towards the door where Maryanne was still standing, frozen. He didn't even acknowledge her. Instead, he pushed her out of the way and stormed out without even looking back.

     Maryanne's mother rushed to her side. She lifted Maryanne to her feet and shut the door tentatively. "It's okay," she said softly, "come now, I made lemon cookies."

     Her mother smiled reassuringly, leading Maryanne into the kitchen.

     Now, nine years later, as Maryanne left her mother's flat to go to school, she was approached by a man in a long black cloak and a tall top hat. Her mother had left earlier that morning to go to work, so she was on her own.

     "Excuse me young lady but, are you Maryanne Janes?" he asked her. She squinted at him before nodding slowly. The man heaved a sad sigh and took off his tall hat as he put his hand on her shoulder. "I regret to inform you that your mother, Annette Janes, was involved in a car crash this morning on her way to work. She did not make it. My deepest condolences go out to you," he said quietly. Maryanne stared at him before running towards her school, St. Angeles Academy.

     "Wait! Wait!" the man called, but Maryanne was too fast.

     She swept into school and slammed into her best friend, James, who grabbed her arms to steady her. "Whoa there Maryanne! What's got you in such a hurry today?" he asked, smiling brightly. She shook her head and pulled her arms away from him.

     "Never mind," she mumbled, brushing past him. Memories of her mother floated through her mind, though one particular one stood out the most.

     "Maryanne dear, is there something you wish to tell me?" Annette said gently, pulling up a chair in front of Maryanne.

     Maryanne nodded but mumbled, "No."

     "Come on now dear, what is it?" she asked, laughing lightly.